Ace and Luna Recollection 3 (Side Chapter)

A year has gone by and Ace is now in his third year of middle school while Luna was in her 2nd year of high school. Within this time Ace eventually joined the Martial Arts club since Luna was busy handling the Disciplinary committee, he used his club activities as a way to kill time. The two would meet during the weekends to catch up, talking about the recent novels they have read or simply just spending time with each other.

Currently, the two are in their usual spot within the library booking a study room once again. They both were seated with a table separating the two, on it was a chessboard with Luna on the white side and with Ace on the black. Both of their strategies differed from each other, Luna was much more aggressive and reckless willing to sacrifice anything to achieve victory, whilst Ace was much more defensive ensuring the survival of his strongest pieces.

"Check," Luna said, slamming the bishop piece down as it targetted Ace's king.

"Tch... Check." Ace moved his queen back, defending the king from the bishop's attack, unfortunately, this was the only move Ace can do. This allowed Luna to take the queen off Ace's side leaving her with the upper hand.

"Finally... checkmate." Luna placed her rook piece closer to Ace's side. Since he couldn't move any pieces it was Luna's victory.

"*Sigh* I can't beat you at all."

"Well, I was a candidate for the nationals." Luna boasted.

"You bested me in every way, no way I can be considered a match for you."

"Are you sure about that? You seemed hesitant making the riskier plays. I could've sworn you could have wiped out a good amount on my side in exchange for yours."

"That's why I didn't bother. I much prefer keeping as many pieces alive for future plays within the game. That's why pawns are my core strategy most times."

"Certainly, you almost got me there." Luna held out a white pawn piece pointing it towards Ace.

Ace took a glance at Luna who held a gentle smile towards him. Currently, both were not in uniform as they met up during a Sunday afternoon.

"So, how's the committee right now for you? You're much busier than before." Ace said as he packed away all the chess pieces away.

"Troublesome. Currently, the first years are a mess. A group of egotistic idiots thinking they rule the first year. I'm tasked to keep my eye on them along with the others. What about you? I assumed you must be quite bored without my company."

"I just joined my club again. So killing time has been easy."

"Huh...? 'Again?' Hmm... why did you leave in the first place?" Luna leaned closer.

"Personal matters I had to tend to. I'm fine now so I joined back as a result."

"I see, I see. Your expression has improved a lot lately, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to join a club. With what I've been teaching you are ahead of your peers. You probably already know every topic that's coming your way right?"

"Thanks to you. The High School test should be a breeze once that opens up."

"I can't wait to see you at the campus. It's really pretty, it has a good spot to lose yourself to the skies."

"Haha, that sounds so like you." Ace held a small chuckle.

"It's the perfect spot to read. No one knows about it at all for an odd reason. Yet anyone is allowed to go into this secret spot of mine."

"I can't wait."

"The Academy test... that's next week right? Have you been studying? The material I gave you is quite difficult if you don't revise." Luna leaned closer on the palm of her hand, showing concern for Ace in her expression.