Chapter 37: A Small Breather

"I got the stuff from the tent." Yuni jogged her way to Ace who had just finished skinning the dead wolves.

"Alright, we're done here so let's go." Ace stood up after crouching. 

Yuni had noticed that Darklin was nowhere to be in sight, striking up a question on his whereabouts.

"Hm? Where's Darklin?" 

"He's scouting around for any other enemies." Ace answered with a yawn. He took off his helmet to look at the sunlight, but there was an indication of bags underneath Ace's eyes.

After noticing this and Yuni felt bad clenching her hand on her chest. 

"Sorry... you stayed up all night just for me."

"It's fine. I'll sleep it off. Darklin's on his way back so let's head to the castle." 

After hearing Ace, Yuni responded with a nod as they began walking. 

With each step they take Ace would notice the debris from the buildings some left standing and some completely demolished. There we different types of rusted weapons laying on the ground from the previous battles, but after looking around Ace can confirm that there was no other life form but the trio themselves.

"We're finally here..." Yuni said with a dejected tone. 

The trio stood in front of the castle entrance. The giant castle stood tall over the demolished buildings, despite the Kingdom's history it was still left standing with some of the accompanying towers destroyed. Its black material stood out from the rest of the buildings. As Ace went to inspect closer, the sensation was the same as stone.

Darklin flew down the entrance where the two were standing. 

"There are no signs of any other enemies. What are we doing now?" Darklin asked.

"Sleep." Ace answered with no energy in his voice and expression.

"I much prefer the outside. I'll sleep at the top, if I sense anything I'll let you know."

"I'll leave it to you."

In an instant, Darklin flew up, disappearing into the distance, leaving just Ace and Yuni alone together.

"Let's head in," Yuni said to him, leading the way.

The castle's interior kept much of its integrity, with bits of debris here and there. The building's foundations remained strong, as if the kingdom was never attacked in the first place while inside. 

After going through the entrance, Ace found himself following Yuni to a hallway, there were many paintings of the previous rulers of the castle, all the queens shared some sort of resemblance to Yuni until they made it to the end, showcasing a giant painting. Yuni stared at the painting with sadness in her eyes. She went up to the painting, placing her hands on the canvas. 

In the painting, Ace recognised a young Yuni with her parents. Yuni's mother overall looked much similar to her. Yuni's father, on the other hand, was a man of great size. Ace's first impression of him was that he was a rough warrior. What stood out in his appearance was his beast-like ears, not knowing what kind of demonfolk he was.

"I'm home..." Yuni weakly smiled but soon after dropped her forceful smile, recalling the memories of their deaths.

"Sorry... we're almost at my old room."

"It's fine I know you're doing your best to be cheerful, but can you rely on me for anything." Ace said to her. Yuni simply responded with a smile, taking a turn to another hallway.

After a minute of walking, Yuni stopped in front of a door and took a deep breath. Soon after, she opened it, but as Ace was expecting there were signs of dust everywhere.