Chapter 18: A Sudden Call For War

After a few days of progressing through the dungeon. Aria and her class were all busy resting for the next day. However, this small moment of relaxation was ruined the moment they heard a knock on their dorm door. 

Alan went to open the door to notice that his trainer Ancel had appeared.

"Ancel... why are you here at this time?" Then the sudden realisation hit Alan knowing why Ancel was at their door. "Wait... would that mean..."

"By that reaction, it seems you already know why I'm here. Everyone I'm sure everyone has heard the rumours of war coming our way. That lot is true, so, unfortunately, the King has given orders for you to cease your training in the Dungeons and to... participate in the war. Both Cromor and Alinia have attacked us early today and starting tomorrow afternoon you will be mobilised into securing defensive positions near the border." Ancel explained.

"Does that mean... we're finally being dispatched for good...?" Alan asked.

"Indeed. Make sure you're ready by the afternoon, make sure you gear up and prepare whatever you need. We'll explain more details tomorrow..." Ancel left off giving a sympathetic look to the class.

After he left, Alan turned his back to notice the expressions on everyone's face. Everyone looked dejected contemplating their chances of survival. They knew that any of them could die, with Ace's death still leaving a stigma in the class's memory. One of the girls began having a panic attack beginning to breathe heavily as Lucia and Vella, the healers of the group rushed to aid her.

"Emilia...?! Come on we'll be okay." Vella said reassuring her. 

"This might help. [Heart of Bravery]" Lucia chanted one of her supportive light spells which protect against mind-affecting spells and increase the confidence of its target for a certain amount of time.

After receiving the spell Emilia gradually started breathing normally. The girls rushed to cheer her up whilst Freya and Aria watched from a distance.

"Honestly I knew of the situation beforehand," Freya said.

The two of them kept to themselves knowing that their conversation will only cause more anxiety towards their class. Freya was much more comfortable in speaking to Aria regarding the bad news that will come to their class.

"If you knew why did you keep it to yourself until now?" Aria asked.

"Because the same thing would happen just now, except the only difference is the concerns of everyone would start earlier. I didn't want to break everyone's spirits until later... more like I didn't have it in me."

"*sigh* If Ace was here... maybe he would've said something bold."

"I think he would've rubbed it in that we're in this situation rather than that." 

"But if he was still here maybe I would've joined Emilia in having a panic attack if that didn't happen..."

"Yet you're accepting this precarious situation now. I'm really unsure if I prefer this Aria or the old one,  just make sure you're doing fine mentally." 

"I am. Olivia helped me out the other day, I should be fine." 

While everyone looked distressed about the future that awaited them Alan began to bring everyone's attention by banging his shield with his sword that he summoned just then.

"Everyone calm down! I know we're going to a huge battle soon, but we have to remember we won't survive with this kind of attitude. If we're going to survive, we have to watch each other's backs, make sure we cover for each other."