Chapter 63

*Ellie's POV* 

Part of me never thought this day would come. A weekday where I can sleep in instead of looking after kids and prying toys from their hands before they can stick them in their mouths. As much as I admire my students and my job, I couldn't help but count down the minutes until the school year's final dismissal bell yesterday. And by the unusually high hyperactivity of my students, neither could they. 

My last day of school excited Demi as well, as I could finally be around more to help plan our wedding and Isabella's arrival. I came home yesterday to a detailed list of tasks to be completed by Demi and I this week. It ranged from finalizing our honeymoon to ordering personalized thank you cards.

After much back and forth over the last two weeks, Demi and I settled on Cancun for our honeymoon. I didn't want us to spend too much on a honeymoon. Being with Demi is more than enough for me. However, Demi firmly disagreed, wanting to make the most of such a memorable milestone in our lives (and future). I couldn't argue with her, mostly because she promised we would swim with dolphins while we are there. 

I finally awoke at ten AM feeling well-rested for the first time in weeks. The smell of bananas and chocolate made its way to our room, filling my nostrils. I throw on Demi's sweater, which was draped over her lounge chair, and make my way downstairs. Demi is dressed in a sports bra and the matching sweatpants to her sweater I'm wearing. Too invested in flipping the pancakes, she doesn't notice my presence. 

I walk up behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist. She jumps then softly relaxes in my arms once she realizes it's me. 

"I figured you might want breakfast in bed to kickstart your summer vacation." She says plating the pancakes in the pan. 

"You always take such good care of me." I proclaim, giving her a peck on the cheek. I feel her cheek curl into a smile as my lips linger on her skin. 

"Well, we do have a long day ahead of us. I don't want you crashing halfway through." 

I groan as Demi's list pops into my head. I take a seat at the kitchen island to watch Demi finish making breakfast. 

"So what's on the list for today?" I ask. 

"Publish our registry and gather photos for our slideshow." 

Right, the slideshow. How could I forget? Demi is insisting we create a montage of memories to display on a tv near the gift station. She got the idea from her cousin who got married a few years ago. She thought it would be cute to showcase our love over time. I told her the idea reminded me of a memorial at a funeral, but nonetheless, I agreed to it.

She places a plate of banana chocolate chip pancakes in front of me, along with a cup of coffee and real maple syrup she imported from a sugar shack in the White Mountains. 

She stands across from me, sipping her coffee. 

"You're not going to eat too?" I ask.

She shakes her head. no. "I ate before I made you breakfast." 

I cut my pancakes into bite-size pieces, dipping a piece in maple syrup before shoving it into my mouth. I close my eyes as I savor the taste. A little moan escapes my lips involuntarily. 

I take a few more pieces into my mouth, the mix of chocolate, banana, and maple blending perfectly together. "Uh, I could make love to you," I declare. I look up at Demi where she's leaned against the kitchen island, eyebrow raised with a smirk on her face. 

"I guess I'll have to settle for you," I tease. Demi throws the kitchen towel draped over her shoulder at me, the corner landing in the maple syrup.