Chapter 57

Written 2015

Revised May 2021

*Demi's POV*

Earlier this week, Jillian, Ellie and I taste tested the two catering companies we narrowed our list two, eventually settling on one. It was a hard decision, as both of them had exquisite food. However, it came down to which caterer could accommodate our anticipated number of guests and were available on the weekend. Only one of them checked off both. With good feelings, we chose Heavenly Catering to cater our big day. Which we officially chose to be October 15th. 

With three things checked off and about a hundred more to complete, Ellie and I were starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. 

Like clockwork, she would leave for work, while I spent my time writing new music. When she would come home, we'd almost immediately dive into wedding planning. We'd manage to find something in the cabinet or fridge for dinner, and get right back into wedding planning. 

I'm starting to think the reason people wait so long to get married is less about saving money and more about giving themselves an appropriate timeline to slowly plan, instead of doing it all at once and burning out. 

"Alright, what's next on our list from Jillian?" Ellie asks, standing up, reaching her arms over her head to stretch, interlocking her fingers. I rummage through the pieces of paper sprawled out on the carpet, looking for our checklist for next two weeks. Once I find it, I cross out email photographers for availability before reading the next task out loud. 

"Finalize the guest list with their mailing addresses and or email addresses to send save the date invitations." 

"It's the 21st Century. No one remembers people's mailing addresses, and I certainly don't write them down." Ellie groans, frustrated at the idea of having to call and text people for their addresses. 

She glances at the clock then back at the pile in front of us. I can tell she's becoming overwhelmed. 

"Come on, let's at least write a rough guest list tonight. We'll worry about contact information another day." I suggest, hoping it will take some weight off of her shoulders. She nods her head in agreement. 

Within an hour, Ellie and I have a great starting list. Being in Hollywood, I know a lot of people and have a lot of connections. However, that doesn't mean I want them at my wedding. It sounds bitchy, but it's my day- our day- and I rather it only be us and the people we're closest to. 

With that being said, I make a list of just a few dozen people who I would like to invite. When Ellie's done with her list, she hands it to me. I scan over the list Ellie put together of the people she wants to invite. My eyes land on a name I didn't quite expect to see on such a list. 

"You want to invite your mom?" I ask. 

"I know she was a bitch to me last time I called her, but I'd like to give her just one more chance. One final chance to be in my life. After that, if she still doesn't want to be in my life I'll stop trying." She admits. 

I try to hide my feelings against the idea, as it's not my place to stop her. I just don't want to see her get hurt again. 

"Okay. One last chance." I repeat after her. 

After combining our lists to make one list, we realize our guest list is quite smaller than I expected my wedding to be as a kid. I always expected a large wedding, with a large cake and surprisingly a horse. I realize, looking back at nine year old Demi's wedding dreams, all I ever need is the woman I love by my side. 

We decide to call it a night after we generated our list, not having any motivation to continue. Ellie takes a shower while I clean up. And by clean up I mean put everything into a pile onto the coffee table to sort through tomorrow. Once I'm done, I strip out of my clothes and put on a crop top and pair of shorts before I settle between my sheets, letting my body sink into the memory foam. Moments later, the shower is turned off, and Ellie enters our room in nothing but a towel.