Chapter 59

Written 2015

Revised May 2021

*Demi's POV*

I stretch my arm out, feeling the cool comforter underneath my touch. I open my eyes to an empty bed. Ellie's side of the bed is neatly made, pillows placed on top of the comforter, resting slightly against the headboard. I gaze around the room, no sign of her. 

After stretching and letting my eyes adjust to the light shining through the edges of the curtains, I get up. As I open my bedroom door, the smell of bacon and eggs fills my nostrils. I inhale slowly, my mouth beginning to water. 

I'm not usually one to be hungry upon waking up. However, I can always go for Ellie's famous eggs. They might not actually be famous, but they are to me. 

I walk down the stairs and towards the kitchen. I stop in the doorway as I watch Ellie cook. She's wearing an oversize shirt, like always, crew socks and a thong. Her phone is tucked into the waistband of her thong.  I watch as she flips the eggs in the pan with ease, sprinkling a handful of Mexican blend shredded cheese on top. She has headphones in, and she's moving her body to the music, whatever it may be. She has yet to notice my presence. 

I lean against the doorway, lips curled into a smile as I watch the show unfold in front of me. She closes the bag of cheese and carries both the cheese and the carton of eggs to the refrigerator. She finally notices me from the corner of her eye. She jumps, almost dropping the cheese and eggs. 

She removes one headphone from her ear. "You scared me. How long were you standing there?" She asks. 

"About a minute." I chuckle. 

She puts the cheese and eggs away and closes the refrigerator door. "Why didn't you say anything?" She asks, walking over to me, wrapping her arms around my lower waist. 

"I didn't want to interrupt the show." I tease, bringing my lips down to hers for a soft, slow kiss. She breaks away too soon for my liking. 

"Have a seat. It's almost ready." She says, removing her hands from my waist and returning to the stove. I do as I'm told, thanking her as she hands me a glass of orange juice. Not long after, I have a plate of food in front of me, Ellie sitting beside me. 

"You're up early," I say in observation. 

"Yeah, I had a hard time sleeping last night." She admits, taking a bite of her turkey bacon. 

"How come? Is everything okay?" I ask, turning my chair to face her more. 

"Oh no, everything is okay. I guess the news about adopting Isabella is still pretty active in my head. It's like I'm on some weird high."

I can't help but chuckle. "I think what you're experiencing is excitement, babe." 

"Yeah, I guess you're right." 

After breakfast, I can sense Ellie's impatience starting to grow. I didn't want to bother Jill during the weekend, but I don't think Ellie could make it another forty-eight hours before calling Jill. Ellie and I return to the Island, a pen and paper in my hand. I dial Jill's number and put my phone on speaker, letting it sit on the counter between Ellie and I. 

"Demi, how are you?" Jill's voice radiates excitement through the speaker. 

"Hi Jill, I'm doing good. You?" 

"I'm fine, thank you for asking." 

"Sorry to bother you on the weekend. But I spoke to Ellie last night." I explain, hoping she'll understand. 

"Nonsense. I always have time for my favorite couple." Jill praises. I watch as a smile forms on Ellie's lips. 

"We would like to go ahead and begin Isabella's adoption paperwork," I say, intertwining my fingers between Ellie's giving her a comforting squeeze.