Chapter 34

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*A few days later*

*Demi's POV*
Love. For such a short, four letter word, it packs a lot of meaning. Some people throw it around like any other word, others reserve it, using it only if they mean it and deem it appropriate. I fall into the latter category. Confessing my love to Ellie at the beach, in between trying to stop our hair from flying into our ice cream due to the wind and escaping paparazzi isn't a situation I would mark in a memory book as ideal nor romantic. However, as every day with Ellie goes by, I realize not everything has to be a planned out, romantic gesture. I don't have to wear the most expensive dress, buy the fanciest champagne nor wear makeup seven days a week. She likes me, no loves me, the way I am and isn't caught up in the glamour and fame that comes with being in Hollywood. It's a relief from my previous relationships.

My manager Phil sent me an email while Ellie and I were at the beach a few days ago, requesting I meet with him to discuss upcoming promotion for my new album. We settled on meeting today. I make my way downstairs, draping my freshly washed and still damp hair over my shoulder. Ellie is at the kitchen island, typing away on her laptop. I walk up behind her, wrapping my arms around her chest, pecking her cheek slightly. She jumps in my arms, startled by the sudden contact, then relaxes in my embrace. A smile creeps upon her gentle lips.

"What are you looking at?" I ask, leaning my forehead against hers. She's not bothered by my wet hair, dampening the collar of her shirt.

She sighs. "I'm looking at schools nearby, hoping to find at least one that is in need of a substitute teacher or something." She says, taking a sip of her coffee. It's been a few weeks since Ellie lost, or rather quit her job at Richie's Diner. When she broke the news to me, we talked about her starting a career instead of settling on just an everyday job. That's when she opened up about her dream of becoming a teacher. She was on the fence about perusing that part of her life again, but clearly, after a few weeks she's come around to the idea of it.

"How would you feel working at a catholic school?" I ask, removing my face from her cheek to look at her. She turns around, eyebrows furrowed curiously.

"At this point, I'm not opposed to anything, really." She answers. "Why?"

"Well when I was in rehab, my roommate, Andrea, had just been promoted from an English teacher to Principal. I should still have her contact in my phone, I can ask if she still works there and if she's hiring." I offer with a small smile.

"You don't have to do that, I'll find something." She says, not wanting to accept help.

"Please, you support my career, it's only more than fair I support yours." I say, with pleading eyes. She nods her head, agreeing to let me reach out to Andrea.

"Okay, I'll give her a call after I'm done with my meeting." I say, giving her a kiss on the lips. The kiss is soft and quick and before I can really savor it, our lips have disconnected.

***

"Demi, great to see you." Phil says, shaking my hand before taking a seat behind his desk. I take a seat across from him, placing my Gucci bag on the floor next to my feet. "We've been monitoring the media's response to your recently released singles as well as the anticipation of your upcoming album and we want to get your opinion about announcing a tour the day of your album release." Phil says, leaning back in his chair, waiting for a response.

My eyes light up with enthusiasm. I haven't been on tour for a while. I was hoping to bring this album to tour. "I've been dying to get back on the road." I say, sitting up in my seat eagerly.

"We figured. The tour would kick off sometime around February. We already have some opening acts lined up." Phil continues to talk, but my thoughts slowly down him out till I can no longer hear him speak. Thoughts of Ellie enter my mind. I don't want to make a decision without her. Better yet, I don't think I want to be away from her for months. I don't think she'd want to come on tour with me. She's finally finding herself.