Chapter 40 *Sexual*

Written 2015
Revised April 2021
*This chapter contains sexual content*
*This is so far the longest chapter. And I wrote all of it from scratch lol. This chapter was a LOT different beforehand*

*Few days later*
*Ellies POV*
I don't understand how I have gotten so lucky. I've never met anyone, let alone dated anyone that was as understanding and caring as Demi is. She listens to me. She doesn't judge me. She makes sacrifices and compromises. Her heart just overflows with love and acceptance.

I've opened up to Demi about a lot of things. Things that the me five months ago would have much rather kept to myself. Even something as simple as telling Demi I lost my job would have been something I would have struggled with more than I did. But there she was, understanding and encouraging as ever. Now look at me. About to start my new job in just three short days.

Andrea hired me as a substitute teacher. For the next few months, I will be taking over Ms. Steven's class while she's on maternity leave. When she returns back to work, Andrea offered me a position as Ms. Steven's teaching assistant, so long as I prove myself to be worthy of the position. I couldn't thank her fast enough.

Tonight is New Year's Eve. Instead of going to one of the dozens of parties Demi was invited to, she suggested we go back to my cabin. Little did she know, the beach has perfect sight lines for the midnight fireworks that go down just a few acres over.

I know it's unorthodox to buy someone a gift on New Year's Eve, but something about Demi being so supportive and the thought of not getting her something as a token of my appreciation didn't sit well with me. I know love isn't about tangible objects or monetary value. But I just had to get her something. With a little help with my friend Hayley, I settled on a promise ring. I hope it isn't too cliche for Demi's liking. But I know she likes shiny things and well, this was that.

I tossed the box that safely protected the ring in my duffle bag, along with a change of clothes, pjs and toiletries. I had work in a few days, and Demi knew that, making this trip a quick but hopefully memorable one.

Knowing there would be an overwhelming number of cars on the road tonight, we planned on leaving just after dinner. Demi got an Insta Pot for christmas from her mother, and was dying to try this new chicken fajita recipe. I braced myself for the dinner I was on my way to. It can't be that bad. Technically the Insta Pot is making the food, not Demi. All she had to do was season the chicken and cut the peppers and onions. I better search for nearby open restaurants, just in case.

I park my car in Demi's driveway. I take a deep breath, taking in the new car smell that still seems to linger after a week. I leave my bags in my car, not bothering to take them in with me just to bring them right back out.

I enter Demi's house, the smell of chipotle seasoning filling the air. For once what she's cooking doesn't smell... burnt. Demi's kitchen island is covered by at least a half of dozen bowls, each with ingredients to top our fajitas with. She has two place settings set with a glass of wine in front of each. She turns around, meeting my gaze with a smile.

"Just in time, It's almost ready." She says, clacking the tongs together.

I take a seat at the island, taking a sip of wine. Mhmm. Demi turns around, placing a glass bowl of chicken, peppers and onions on the island. The steam fogs up Demi's glasses. She must have been using them to read the recipe. She sits down next to me, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"This actually looks edible." I tease, filling a soft tortilla with chicken and various toppings. Demi playfully slaps my arm.

I take a bite of the fajita, bracing myself to spit it out in my napkin if it doesn't taste good. I chew it, letting the flavors dance around my tongue. I swallow the bite in harmony. "I'm impressed, Demi. This taste delicious." I say taking another bite.