chapter 25

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*
"Yeah, about that..." I say trailing off.

"I got fired today." I announce, avoiding eye contact with Demi.

Demi's eyes widen. "Why were you fired." She asks softly, seeing our waiter walking over with our food. We pause our conversation only for a brief moment. Demi waits for the waiter to leave before resuming out conversation. "Why were you fired." She repeats, waiting for an answer.

I sit across from her, playing with the fries on my plate, pushing them side to side. "Well technically I quit." I say clearing my throat. "Someone who was supposed to cover my shifts didn't. So when my boss called today, he gave me an ultimatum. Come into work and miss our trip, or keep my job and get fired." I explain. "So I chose you." I say meeting Demi's eyes with mine. Her face is soft. She's taken aback by my gesture of choosing her.

"Babe, we could have went another time." She explains, still appreciative of my choice. She's right. I could put in a request for time off and have it approved in just a few short weeks. But the truth is I didn't want to wait a few weeks. This trip is special. I'm meeting her family. As important as a job is, I want her to know how important meeting her family is to me.

"I didn't want to go another time. I wanted to go tomorrow." I say confidently.

She shakes her head, giggling slightly. "You're so cute."

"Yeah, cute and unemployed." I joke while dipping a fry in ketchup before taking a bite.

"So you're unemployed. So what? This is your chance to find a job doing something you're passionate about." She says using her napkin to wipe sauce off her mouth. Once again she's right.

Richie's Diner was a memory. A childhood adventure. Going there was reserved for special occasions. At least what qualifies as a special occasion as a kid. Getting a good report card, winning a softball game, loosing a tooth. Being an employee and showing up to work for minimum wage with not-so-friendly co workers has really changed my perspective on the place. It's just not as special anymore. And I think what ruined it was deciding it was a good idea to work there.

"You studied Education in college right?" Demi asks, putting her sandwich down. I smile. We had only talked about my college education once, and it was the first night we were getting to know each other. She remembered. I nod my head.

"Is that something that still inspires you?" She asks.

I take a moment to think. My interest in the subject at hand started to dissipate when I had Isabella. I was so heartbroken I didn't want to be around kids following my postpartum depression. I didn't change my education path. In fact I graduated top of my class. But after taking some time away from education, a month turned into months turned into years. And that's how I ended up at Richie's Diner. "Yes. It still inspires me." I say, first the first time in forever.

"There are lots of schools in the area. If you want we can look into them when we get back from Texas." Demi offers kindly.

"School has already started for the year. I doubt we'll find a school in need of a teacher mid school year." I say close minded. I don't want to waste my time searching for unavailable jobs.

"Well maybe not a full time teacher but schools are always in need of paraprofessionals and substitute teachers.  Look at it this way, you wont be getting thrown head first into teaching. You can ease your way into it. And if you realize it's not for you, then we move onto the next career path." Demi smiled sympathetically. My heart begins to flutter hearing Demi talk with such care and supportiveness. I don't think anyone has cheered me on as much as she is right now. She's my own little cheerleader.
————
2021 update. Hey all. I unpublished every chapter I have YET to revise. That way it's easy to know which chapters have and have not been revised.

Any questions don't hesitate to comment or message me privately!