Chapter 15

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*
Demi asked me to spend the night which I gladly accepted. There was no way. I was going to leave her alone, even if she didn't ask me to stay. I pick her arm up, slowly slipping out from her grip. I replace my body with my pillow, draping Demi's arm over the pillow. She squirms, tightening her embrace around my pillow. I give her a small kiss on her forehead before quietly exiting her room. I close her door behind me, before making my way down her stairs. Her living room is in disarray from the events yesterday. I pick up her end table, placing her lamp and family photo back on the table. I drape the blanket over her couch before throwing her pillows on the couch. I straighten the frames on the wall, inspecting the glass, making sure none of them broke during their altercation yesterday. Thankfully none of them did.

Once I'm done attending to Demi's living room, I make my way to her kitchen. I turn on her Keurig. While I wait for it to heat up, I take out the ingredients I need for Demi's breakfast. I take a sip of my coffee before beginning her breakfast. I crack 4 eggs into a mixing bowl, adding a dash of milk and some seasoning. As I'm whisking the eggs I feel my watch vibrate against my wrist. Shit. I have a shift in two hours. Matt implemented a new rotation schedule last week. Instead of working my routine morning shift today, I work the afternoon shift. I whisk the eggs faster, air bubbles rising to the top of the bowl. I hear the bacon on the back burner sizzling. I flip them before pouring the eggs into a pan. I turn around to find Demi standing at the bottom of the stairs in an oversized shirt and knee high socks. Her hair poking out of her pony tail.

She walks towards me, "Good morning." She says, pulling out the bar stool before taking a seat at the island.

"Good morning, beautiful." I reply. We haven't established if she likes nicknames or thinks they are overrated. But I like them.

"Breakfast smells good." She says, taking in a deep breath.

"It does, doesn't it." I say cocky.  I flip the eggs in the pan, sprinkling a handful of cheese on them. The toaster dings, exposing two pieces of toast. I pick them up and put them on a plate. Perfectly toasted.

"Wow, you've come a long way." Demi teases.

I give her a smirk. "Shut up." I turn the burners off before plating our food and setting them on the island.

"How did you sleep?" I ask, taking a seat next to her.

"Good knowing I was safe in your arms."

I swallow my bite of food. "Well listen, I have work soon. Will you be okay by yourself?" I ask.

Demi tries to hide the sadness in her face. "The locksmith is coming today. I'll be fine."   

***
Demi dropped me off at my apartment shortly after breakfast. I offered for her to stay at my place, but she declined. My ride to work is filled with thoughts on ways to cheer Demi up. Places I could take her. Things I could buy her. There's not much I can buy for a celebrity that has the capability of buying anything she wants. Flowers. Everyone loves to get flowers, right? There has to be more that I can do.

"Hey, Ellie." Marissa greets me.

"Hey, Marissa." I reply, tying my apron around my waist.

"You two must have been busy last night." She says, giving me a smirk.

"What do you mean?" I ask, clocking in on the POS system.

"She didn't answer my phone calls last night and the bags under your eyes suggest you got little to no sleep." Marissa points out.

I sigh before walking closer to her, not wanting others to overhear our conversation. "Wilmer was at Demi's house yesterday when you dropped me off." I begin.

"I thought they broke up?" Marissa asks.

I nod my head. "They did, but he tried convincing her to take him back." I explain.

"Did he hurt her?" She asks, curious as to why Demi didn't say anything to her.

I shake my head no. "I got there in time. But she was shaken up." I explain. It's Demi's business if she wants to inform Marissa about the whole story.

"Well is Demi okay?" She asks.

"For the most part."

"She's been overworking herself lately between finishing her album and promoting her new music. She needs a vacation." Marissa insists.

"I want to take her away for a few days, away from the city."

"So why don't you? Take her tonight." Marissa suggests.

"I work the night shift the next few days. If I put in for time off, it won't be approved until next week and by then it will be too late." I explain, fiddling with the strings of my apron anxiously .

Marissa notices my anxious fiddling and takes my hands in hers. "So let me pick up your shifts." Marissa offers.

"Really?" I ask. Marissa is already working the morning shift tomorrow.

"Absolutely. Anything for my new favorite couple."