Chapter 51

Written 2015
Revised April 2021

*A few days later*
*Ellie's POV*
"Are you sure you have to leave tomorrow?" Demi asks, cuddled up beside me. I'm slowly caressing Demi's hair, as we relax in bed. We woke up a little while ago, but neither one of us wanted to get up and start the day. Instead we stayed in bed, wrapped in each other's embrace, savoring the moment, knowing in just twenty four hours, Marissa and I will be on a flight back home.

"Marissa has a shift tomorrow and I go back to school Monday." I answer with sadness on my lips. I would give anything for another week with Demi. I look down at the ring on her finger as it brings me some reassurance. I just have to get through five more weeks of her on tour, and then we'll have forever together.

I watch as Demi's nose scrunches up at the sound of me going back to school. "Are you and Andrea on speaking terms?" I ask, knowing bringing up Andrea might be the worst thing I could do.

"She texted me a few days ago." Demi says, letting out an audible sigh.

"Oh yeah? What did she say?" I ask, curiously.

"She wanted to see how the tour is going and if our friendship was okay."

"And is it?" I ask softly.

Demi shrugs her shoulders. "Her apology seemed genuine. She had no intentions of being a home wrecker. But she still kissed you, and for that I don't know if I can trust her." Demi admits honestly. I nod my head, understanding Demi's point of view on the situation.

I decide to not push the subject any further. I glance at the clock. 10:27am. I push the covers off of us. Demi groans as the cold air hits her bare legs, creating goosebumps. I know if Demi and I stay in bed any longer, she'd be bound to miss her soundcheck.

As I look around for my sweatpants, Demi's phone buzzes. She reaches over and grabs it, while I put on my sweatpants. Demi sits up enthusiastically.

"Hey babe, Jill got back to us." Demi announces, getting my attention. Jill, Isabella's caretaker. Caretaker? Guardian? Foster mom? I'm not sure what the correct term is. I sit on the bed, waiting for Demi to continue. "She said it was nice to hear from us again and she would be thrilled to bring the kids to the concert tonight." Demi says, eyes not looking up from her phone. Her eyes move back and forth intensely as she continues to read the email. "She said thanks to the publicity of our last visit, five of the kids in her care were placed in potential forever homes and two more have potential adoptions lined up."

Seven kids? My heart sinks at the thought of Isabella being one of those five, the possibility of never seeing her again. Don't get me wrong, part of me would be beyond happy for her, as she hasn't had the easiest time finding a home. However, the mother in me wishes to see her at least one last time.

Demi notices the blank look on my face. She leans forward, grabbing my hand in hers, giving it a comforting squeeze. "I know you want to see her, baby. But if she got adopted, that's a good thing." Demi says, trying to see the bright side of the situation.

"Yeah, you're right." I say, trying to shake negative thoughts from my mind.

"Let me email her back and then get dressed. I hear there are some really good donut shops in Massachusetts." Demi suggest, knowing how much of a sweet tooth I have. I nod my head, agreeing to partake in a donut adventure this morning.

***

Whoever told Demi about the donut shops in Massachusetts clearly knew their stuff. We took a trip to Kane's Donuts, a bakery just outside of the city. I got a s'mores donut while Demi got a birthday cake donut. We sat at a table in the back, while we savored the uncommon donut flavors.