Chapter 64

*Demi's POV*

It took a mere five hours to hear from Simon after our meeting. He stayed true to our deal and read over my notebook of songs before making a final decision. Although his decision stayed the same, it brought me peace of mind and satisfaction knowing I truly deserved the record contract. I had nothing but my hard work and talent to thank. 

Like Simon informed me, a contract was waiting for me at his office the following day. He was in back-to-back meetings, trying to catch up on business because of the family vacation he took. He left the contract with his secretary. She flashes me a welcoming smile, happy to see my spirit change in just twenty-four hours. 

I carefully read over the contract twice before signing it and handing it back to her. She hands me a copy with a cheerful 'congratulations' before I make my way out the glass double doors and down the hallway. 

The smell of fresh basil and tomatoes greets me as I enter the front door to my house. Smooth 60s music radiates through the speakers and into the rest of the house. It was a peculiar choice for Ellie, one that I've only heard her play once or twice before; when she made homemade Italian sauce. As I enter the kitchen, the song unknown to me begins to die down, and Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley radiates through the speakers. 

Ellie notices my presence and immediately beams with joy. A smile forms upon her lips as she wipes her hands on her apron. She approaches me, wrapping her arms delicately around my waist, letting them rest on my hips. She closes the gap between our bodies and places her lips on mine. I can faintly taste tomatoes and Italian seasonings, most likely from taste testing the pasta sauce on the stove. 

"What's all this for?" I ask, gazing at the packages of fresh pasta from Duram's Pasta Shop around the corner, fresh garlic bread, and remnants from prepping the pasta sauce on the kitchen island. 

"To celebrate your big day today," She says without missing a beat. 

As much as I enjoy the close proximity and affection, I remove Ellie's hands from around my waist and walk over to the pot of homemade sauce on the stove. I pick the wooden spoon up off the spoon rest and stir the sauce. I bring the spoon and a generous amount of sauce to my lips, blowing on it a bit before tasting it. A moan escapes my lips as I let the flavor coat the back of my throat. 

I dip the spoon back into the pot and take another taste, savoring every last bit of it. 

"Okay, that's enough." Ellie projects, taking the spoon from my hand and resting it on the spoon rest. Her hand takes mine, pulling me away from the stove. I stumble over my feet, falling into Ellie. Her arms wrap themselves around my waist again and her body begins to sway to the music. I wrap my hands around her neck, resting my head in the crook of her neck. We sway to the music side to side, neither of us speaking or singing along. 

Take my hand

Take my whole life too,

For I can't help,

Falling in love with you

The song becomes quieter and quieter, as the song reaches the end. The song changes to a more upbeat song, one I've never heard before. We stay wrapped in each other's embrace, neither of us wanting the moment to end. 

It isn't until the pot of boiling water on the back burner overflows onto the stove, making a sizzling noise that causes us to break apart. Ellie hurries over to the stove, taking the pot off of the burner just in time before any real damage could be done. 

She lowers the temperature before returning the pot to the burner. She grabs the container of fresh bucatini pasta and tosses it into the pot of boiling water, stirring it immediately. She removes the pot from the stove once the pasta is ready, draining it before adding it to the sauce. She stirs the pasta in, letting the sauce evenly coat the pasta. She lets it sit while she turns around, cutting the garlic bread into two-inch wide strips and plating them on a decorative oversized plate.