Chapter 69

*Ellie's POV*

"Are we almost there yet?" Isabella groans as Demi pulls off the exit and onto an open road. 

Two days. Our wedding is in two days. Everything is ready for the most important night of our lives. We finalized the guest list, altered our dresses, confirmed with the catering company. The last step is to set up for the big day. 

Isabella crumples up her second bag of pretzels as the Finding Nemo credits radiate through the car from her iPad. She stuffs the empty bag in her cup holder on the door.

"Almost, babe. Just a little while longer." I tell her. She sighs, putting her chin in her palm as she stares off into the distance. "I have an idea. Why don't we play a game?" I ask, turning around in the passenger seat to face Isabella. 

"What kind of game?" She asks, her eyes wide with curiosity. 

"Have you ever played I spy?" I ask. Isabella shakes her head no. She puts her iPad to sleep, silencing the repetitive credits song. I explain the game to her while she listens closely. When I ask her if she understands, I get a big nod and double thumbs-up as a response. 

I let her start. She hums as she looks out her window and throughout the car in search of something. 

I wait patiently, certain she is going to pick something simple like the clouds or endless trees. 

"I spy something blue," Isabella exclaims before giggling. 

I guess a few things, all of which were blue but not what Isabella had picked. My shirt, the sky, Isabella's cup, the lodging sign. My final guess is the inspection sticker on Demi's car which elicits a squeal from Isabella as I finally guessed correctly. 

I hadn't noticed my heartbeat had increased at the intensity of such a game with a five-year-old until I finally guessed correctly. 

"I spy something white," I say. I watch as Isabella looks around the car, quickly calling out everything she noticed that was white. Her socks, the writing on the pretzel bag, buttons on the radio, and phone charger were just a few she named. I gave her a hint that it was outside and to look up. Her tiny head tilted backward as she looked out the sunroof. 

"Clouds?" She asked. I shake my head no. She shifts her body forward, noticing the white item of interest. "The plane!" I nod my head, and Isabella screams with excitement, yet again. 

I look out the window as Demi takes a sharp right turn, immediately knowing where we are and how far away from the cabin we are. I tell Isabella it's the last round and she quickly chooses an item and color. 

"I spy something purple." 

Purple? What on earth is purple in this part of California? There are no flowers or signs. As I look around the car, nothing purple jumps out at me. 

"Are you sure it's purple? Is it in the car?" I ask, getting frustrated at my lack of competency at this game. 

Isabella nods her head, promising it's in the car and not something we passed while driving. It takes me a while, but I am able to name two purple things in the entire car. The purple line in Demi's rainbow air freshener and the purple writing on her berry flavored lip balm in the cup holder; both of which are wrong. 

As we pull up to the cabin, behind at least half a dozen cars, I give up, asking Isabella to tell me the answer. 

"It's the boo-boo on Demi's neck." 

Demi and I choke on thin air, heat immediately rushing to our faces in embarrassment. Demi slams on the breaks, bringing the car to a complete stop.