Chapter 35

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*
Demi hadn't seen Andrea since the day she got released from rehab. I'm not sure what Andrea was in for, but it's not my place to ask. Because they lost touch, Demi insisted she accompany me to my interview. I agree, knowing damn well a little encouragement and support from Demi will help calm my nerves. It's not the interview I'm nervous for. I've a handful of jobs, so interviewing comes naturally to me, despite being an introvert. I think it's because most interviews are predictable, so I can rehearse my answers before the interview. Andrea suggested we meet at the end of the school day in her office, after most of the kids have gone home.

Demi parks her Tesla in a visitors parking spot, watching the last few kids leave the building. She grabs my hand, giving it a light squeeze, realizing my nerves are through the roof. We enter the school, immediately directed to Andrea's office. We stand in her doorway, hearing her raspy voice fill the room. When she sees us, she puts her finger up, letting us know she'll be off the phone in a minute or two. Good. That will give me a little while longer to get my emotions in check. She hangs up the phone, turning her chair to get up and open the door for us.

"Demi!" She says, embracing Demi in a hug. Demi immediately hugs back, wrapping her arms around Andrea's waist. The hug lingers for a few seconds. They pull away. "You must be Ellie?" Andrea says turning to me. I hold my hand out for a simple handshake when she leans in, ignoring my hand. She embraces me in a hug like the one she gave Demi, only this one seems tighter. Andrea's breasts are pressed against mine, her seductive vanilla perfume still lingers on her clothes by the end of the work day. "Sorry, I hope you don't mind. I'm a hugger." She explains. She has on a white button down shirt and a black pencil skirt that compliment her legs. Her curly hair is in an updo, but she has a few strands dangling on either side of her cheeks.

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Sanchez." I say.

"Oh please, call me Andrea." She says turning around to walk back to her chair. She drops her pen on the floor as she turns around. She bends down quickly to pick it up before returning to her chair. Unintentionally, my eyes fall on her behind for a short moment as she bends down. I shake my head. I can't check another woman out in front of my own girlfriend.

Ms. Sanchez- I mean Andrea- motions for us to take a seat across from her, which we gladly do. I hand her a folder with my resume and cover letter in it as well as my certificates. She looks over it with ease.

"You were involved in a lot of clubs in college." She says, pointing out my list of extracurricular activities. I nod my head. I distracted myself with thoughts of Isabella and her father by making sure I was busy all the time. I spent a lot of time volunteering at local elementary schools with art and theatre events. Children don't always have access to different forms of art due to budget cuts, so a group of us students on campus started a club to do just that. I was president my senior year.

"You're resume is impressive, even for someone who has not formally worked in a school yet." She says, trailing off. She continues to look at my resume for a little while longer before closing the folder and placing it on on her neatly organized desk. "If you can get your CPR recertification by December 1st, the job is yours." She says with a small smile. My eyes go wide, I nod my head up and down repeatedly as a smile creeps upon my lips.

"Yes, of course, yes." I say overexcited. Andrea stands up, this time extending her hand out for me to shake. I stand up, shaking her hand in gratitude.

"Fax it to me once you receive it and then we'll go from there." She explains.

***

After meeting with Andrea, Ellie and I decide to get Mexican for dinner in celebration. As we're leaving the restaurant, my phone starts ringing, vibrating against my pant pocket. I unlock my car before pulling my phone out. Phil. I open my car door, taking a seat before accepting the call.

"Hello." I say, shutting my door, starting the car and turning the AC on low.

"Demi, how are you?" He asks as if he didn't just see me a little over twenty four hours ago.

"I'm fine." I say, not bothering to ask him how he is. I know why he's calling. And I rather not beat around the bush and get right to the point.

"I'm just calling to see if you made a decision yet regarding a tour." He asks. I can hear him clicking a pen through the speaker phone.

"Let me get back to you tonight. I promise." I say, hanging up the phone without giving him a chance to respond. We agreed on a forty eight hour window to give him an answer. I hate impatient people.

Ellie looks over at me. She can tell what the conversation was about, even without hearing Phil's side. We sit in the car, watching traffic go by. Neither of us speak, not sure what to say. Well we do. But we don't necessarily agree with what's best for us.

Ellie finally speaks up. "You should go." She says, breaking the silence. I look at her, studying her face. Her face is soft, little to no emotion being shown. That usually means she's sad but trying to suppress her feelings. "You can't release an album without following it with a tour. Lovatics wouldn't like that. I couldn't forgive myself if I kept you back from what you love." She explains, looking up from her hands that she's been fiddling with for the last few minutes. "I'll visit on spring break." She adds, clearing her throat.

I can't help but let a smile form upon my lips. She was so quick to compromise, knowing how important touring is to my fans and I. I lean over, capturing her lips in a passionate, and hungry kiss.