Chapter 13

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*

"-56, 57, 58." I finish counting my tips for the day.  $32.58. I sigh, throwing the money in a pocket in my purse. Today was our slowest day, most likely caused by the rain. I take my apron off before making my way to the back.

"Are you ready?" Marissa asks. I take off my work shirt, revealing a baby blue tank top underneath. I  pulls out a low cut white shirt from my bag, pulling it over my head then snaking my arms through the sleeves.

"Actually  I have somewhere I have to be." I say, trailing off. I scoop my hair that is tucked under my shirt, removing it, letting my hair cascade over my shoulders. I give my hair a small tousle.

Marissa raises an eyebrow curiously. "Demi's?" She asks, followed by a smirk.

I smile while rolling my eyes. Was it that obvious? Since Marissa was on carpool duty today, she offers to drive me directly to Demi's.

"I know there's something going on between you two." Marissa says, lowering the volume of the radio. "I'm gonna get to the bottom of it."

I roll my eyes. This has to be the fourth time she's said this. "We're taking it slow, getting to know each other." I admit. 

Marissa's eyes light up, her mouth curling into a smirk. "I knew it." 

Before we know it, we're pulling up to Demi's house. Marissa puts the car in park. I give her a quick side hug before exiting her car, securing my purse over my shoulder. Marissa rolls down her window, sticking her head out. "Make sure you use protection!" She screams before driving off. 

I shake my head in embarrassment. I begin walking up Demi's cul-de-sac when I notice an unfamiliar black Range Rover parked in her driveway.  I walk up to her front door, ringing the doorbell. I wait a while before ringing it again. I lean back on my heels, looking through her sitting room window for some sign of movement. Again, no response. I knock on her front door repeatedly. Her front door swings open with force. Wilmer stands before me, breathing heavy. 

"Who are you?" he spat, closing the door so I can not see inside of Demi's house. 

"Ellie." I say softly. What is he doing here? My mind can't help but wander. Did Demi take him back? Are we still together? My stomach begins to turn at the thought of why he's out of breath.

"You must have the wrong house."

"No, I'm here to see Demi." I answer. 

"Well she isn't here at the moment." He says brutally. What is he hiding?

"I'll just wait here for her to come back." I say, taking a step closer, pushing the door open with the palm of my hand. 

"I don't think so." he says, pushing on the door, denying me entry. A loud crash from inside the house startle me. Without thinking, I shin kick Wilmer in the groin. He bends over, grabbing his front in pain. I push the door open, frantically searching the house for Demi. "You bitch." Wilmer whimpers, waddling towards me, still cupping his groin. I back away, running up Demi's stairs, calling out Demi's name. 

"Demi?"

"Ellie?" I hear faintly from the end of the hall. I follow the sound of her voice, reaching her en suite bathroom. I turn the knob, but it's locked. 

"Demi, it's me, sweetie. Open the door." I say softly. I hear the lock click. I walk into her bathroom, locking the door behind me. 

Demi is in the corner, rocking back and forth in fetal position. Her face is buried in her knees. She has yet to look up at me. I walk over to her, sitting next to her, rubbing soft circles on her back. She lifts her head, throwing her arms around my neck, tears soaking my shirt collar. I wrap my arms around her waist, comforting her. The front door slams shut, causing Demi to flinch in my arms. 

"Shhh-" I whisper, "You're safe now." I reposition myself, leaning my back on the wall, holding Demi in my arms. 

We sit on the bathroom floor for a while, the fan being the only sound in the room. 

Demi lifts her head up, looking at me for the first time since I got here. "Thank you." She mumbles between a forced smile. 

"I'll always be here for you." I say kissing her forehead.