Chapter 37

Written 2015
Revised April 2021

*Ellies POV*
"Wake up! It's Christmas!" Maddie screams, letting go of the Demi's bedroom door handle and running towards us, jumping on the bed. I tilt my head towards the window. The light is barely shining through Demi's silk curtains. It can't be any later than seven o'clock if I had to guess. Demi lets out a muffled groan, nuzzling her neck into my shoulder. I don't think Demi's will ever be a morning person. "Come on, Demi" Maddie says, shaking Demi's arm. After a few shakes, Demi can't take it anymore.

"Okay, okay. I'm awake." She says, opening her eyes slightly.  Maddie jumps off the bed, leaving Demi's room and entering the guest room. I can faintly hear her waking up Diana and Eddie. Demi wraps her arm around my waist, pulling me in tighter. Her eyelids become heavy, closing once again once Maddie is safely out of her room.

"Demi, wake up." I say, trying to stop her from falling back asleep. She groans into my shirt, unhappy to be awake before the sun is shining bright.

"Five more minutes please." She asks, putting her hand up my shirt, resting it on my warm abdomen. She knows I can't resist her touch. I give in, letting her relax for just a little while longer. I know any more than five extra minutes, Maddie will be back up here.

Five minutes go by rather fast. However, time usually does when I'm with Demi. I slip out from Demi's grip, grabbing my pajama bottoms from Demi's lounge chair. I toss Demi's to her, watching them land on her face. She grabs them before turning over, laying on her back.

"I'm going to kill Madison." She says before letting out a long yawn.

Demi and I make our way downstairs. Maddie is in the middle of opening gifts, various wrapping paper pieces surround her. Diana notices Demi and I walk down the stairs. She holds up two cups of coffee, one for each of us. I can see the steam rising from the cup from the stairs. I take a sip. Hazelnut. Demi's favorite. Demi and I take a seat on her loveseat. Diana passes a wrapped gift to everyone, including me. We each open them simultaneously. It's a set of Christmas pajamas. I look over at Demi and she is holding up the same thing. I gaze around the room. Everyone is holding up a matching set.

Dallas rolls her eyes. "Mom, you're supposed to give the matching pj's out on Christmas Eve. That way were all wearing them on Christmas Day." Dallas says, correcting her mom. Diana shrugs it off like it's nothing.

Demi leans closer to me, her hot breath making the baby hairs on the back of my neck tickle my skin. "She get's us matching pajamas every year for Christmas. Eventually you'll have a dresser dedicated to just Christmas pajamas." She says before leaning back, watching Maddie open the last of her gifts.

I swallow the lump in the back of my throat, feeling heat rise to my cheeks. Demi expects us to be together long enough for me to need a Christmas pajama dresser. I am snapped out of my thoughts as Dallas pushes three more gifts towards me. "The top two are for you, Ellie. The bottom is for Demi." She says. I hand Demi her gift as she's scolding Dallas. "What? I like Ellie more." Dallas says, explaining why I have one gift more than Demi. I read the gift tag. To Ellie Love Dallas & Madison. I unwrap the smaller gift that sits on top. It's Paramore's latest vinyl. I unwrap the second gift, revealing a blue and yellow varsity jacket with the letter 'E' sewn into the top corner. It's simple, but something I've oddly always wanted and while we we were down in Texas last month, it came up in conversation. I can't believe they remembered and bought it. I give them both a hug, expressing my gratitude for the gifts.

The six of us continue to open and exchange gifts for the next hour. It's not that there were an abundance of gifts. Demi's family, with the exception of Maddison, take their time opening gifts. They sip coffee, converse and appreciate each gift before moving onto the next. As we're down to the final few, Demi hands me two boxes that she has had in her lap for quite some time. One box is about the size of my arm and is fairly heavy. The other box is fairly small and lightweight. It's about the size of the box I have Demi's necklace in- shoot. Her gift is still in my purse. I sit back, carefully opening the larger gift first. Something about small, lightweight gifts always make me think they are the more expensive and final gift. I rip open the wrapping paper before opening the box. It's a trophy that has the Supergirl logo on it. On the bottom it reads 'I'm a teacher. What's your superpower?'. "I figured you could put it on your desk at work." Demi says. I wrap my arms around her, forgetting about the last gift. I've never received such a unique gift that resonates with me so well. Demi really knows how to shop. I unwrap the final gift, staring at the box for a few seconds before taking a deep breath, opening the box. Keys. I pick them up, noticing the Audi symbol on the back of them.

"Demi, you did not." I say hoping this is some April fools prank in the middle of December. How can I accept a gift this monetary after dating her for less than six months. Not only that, I'd hate for her parents to think I'm some sort of gold digger.

"You'll need a car to get to and from work." Demi says with a smile plastered on her face. "It's in the garage." She says with a smirk. For the last few days, Demi has told me that her garage door broke and needs to repair it. Not thinking anything of it, we have been using the front door to enter and exit the house while she parks her car in the driveway. Smooth, Demi. Real smooth. Curious to what my new ride looks like, I get up from the loveseat, speed walking down the hallway and to the garage door. Inside her garage is a black, 2 door Audi. It looks like she drove it straight off the lot. Not a dent or scratch to be seen.

I wrap my arms around Demi, planting a soft kiss on her lips, not caring that her family is behind us. "Thank you, baby."

After the high of receiving my new car had diminished to a controllable level, we returned to the living room. I stopped at my purse first, grabbing Demi's final gift. I head back to the living room and Demi is finishing the last of her coffee eagerly. I sit next to her, anxiously waiting to give her last gift to her. When the conversation in the room dies down, I hand the small, wrapped box to her. She takes it welcomingly while sitting up.

"You didn't get me a car too?" She jokes, realizing the box is almost identical in shape to the one she gave me. I shake my head no. If I bought anyone a car it would be myself, Demetria. She unwraps the wrapping paper slowly, almost as if she plans on saving it for next Christmas. Demi's slowness is making my anticipation grow, almost to the point I cant wait any longer. She opens the box, gasping as she inspects the piece of jewelry. She takes it out of the box carefully, holding it up to the light.

"It's an amethyst." I say, if it wasn't already obvious. "It's supposed to bring a person happiness, love, contentment and healing. It's also supposed to calm the mind and open the heart." I explain as I take it from Demi's hands, clasping it around her neck. The hickeys I left on her skin yesterday are peaking through the makeup she applied. "I figured you'd wear it while on tour." I suggest, holding her hands in mine. She squeezes my hands.

"It's beautiful." She says.

Without missing a beat I reply. "Like you."
__________________________

They are so cute wtf! Team Ellie and Demi forever.