Chapter 46

Written 2015
Revised April 2021
A/N you're in for a long one!

*Ellie's POV*
The sunlight peaking through my curtains lands perfectly on my face, waking me up from a deep sleep. I squint my eyes and pull the covers over my face. My head is pounding so hard I swear its shaking my entire body. What did I drink last night? I've only gotten this hungover once in my life. Tequila. My stomach turns at the thought of the clear liquor. I stretch my legs, jumping as they brush up against someone else's smooth skin. Demi. Was last night a dream? I slowly pull the covers off, looking to my occupied space next to me. Hayley? I can't quite figure out if I'm relieved or sad its not Demi laying next to me. I sit up and scan my room. I find my phone on my nightstand, plugged in and fully charged. Hayley must have done that. Speaking of, why and how is she here? Last night is very much a blur, but I haven't seen Hayley since before Christmas. I unlock my phone and scroll through my notifications. I sigh as I reach the end. Nothing from Demi.

I toss my phone on my bed near my feet before laying back against the headboard. I sit in silence for a while when my stomach begins to turn. I get a weird sensation in my mouth, realizing what's about to happen. I throw the covers off myself and run to the bathroom. I lift the toilet seat up and try my best to hold my hair back as I vomit up last nights regret. I feel hands cup my head behind me, pulling my hair back as I vomit again. Hayley hands me a few tissues before sitting on the edge of the tub. I sit on the cold tile floor, my elbow on the edge of the toilet, incase I need to throw up again. I rest my head in my hand, letting myself silently cry. Hayley sits there in silence, her presence comforting enough.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, wiping my mouth with the tissue before throwing it in the toilet.

"Marissa called me. She was worried about you, but she had... other business to attend to last night."

I chuckle. "By other business do you mean Demi?" She stays silent, looking away. That answers that question.

"Are you okay?" She asks softly, as if she's scared to ask me that.

"Oh yeah, I'm great. I like to let loose on Friday nights. I figured an entire bottle of tequila would be fun." I say sarcastically.  I get up from the floor, flushing the toilet before washing my hands and gargling some mouthwash.  I open the medicine cabinet and grab the bottle of headache relief.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asks, following me out of the bathroom and to the kitchen. I grab a bottle of water and swallow two pills.

"I'm getting real sick of answering that question." I say, rubbing my temples with my fingers.

"You should explain to Demi what happened." Hayley suggests. I chuckle as I lean against the kitchen island, playing with the tag on the kitchen towel.

"Yeah, she doesn't want to hear from me. Not even the truth."

"Which is?" She asks.

"My boss thought I was sending her romantic signals that I liked her so she kissed me. I pulled away immediately, at least I think I did."

"You should tell Demi that. If that's the truth then she shouldn't be so mad at you."

I sigh, looking at the clock. "It's too late. Her flight leaves in an hour."

"So?" Hayley questions.

"So she's probably already on her way to the airport." I reply, fiddling with the promise ring Demi gave me.

"So? Get your shoes on. We have an airport to get to."

***

"Come on! It's a green light!" Hayley honks her horn and screams. The windows are up and the radio is on. There's no way the car in front of her heard. But Hayley doesn't care. I chuckle. Hayley has always been impatient. It's sometimes annoying, but in a situation like this, it comes in handy.