Chapter 67

*Demi's POV*

Today's the day. The day Ellie has longed for, the day I've prepared for, and the day that will ultimately change the rest of our lives. Isabella should be here in just under an hour. Ellie has paced around the house the last two days, unable to contain the joy that has bubbled up inside her.

As I'm carefully plating the fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies onto a marble serving tray, Ellie speeds past me towards the front door, her notebook in hand. She returns a few moments later, hands in the air. "The front door needs a lock!"

"It has a lock," I respond, confused by her demand.

"No, I know that. But it needs another lock higher up. That way Isabella can't unlock it and wander off in the middle of the night." Ellie explains, making a note in her notebook.

"We can get one tomorrow." I offer, moving past the island and towards my fiancee. I wrap my arms delicately around her upper body, rubbing soothing circles on her back.

"I just want nothing bad to happen."

I pull back from the hug, capturing Ellie's lips between mine in a soft, reassuring kiss. "Nothing bad will happen, okay? I'll put a kitchen chair in front of the door tonight while she's asleep."

Ellie takes a deep breath, nodding her head in agreement. I watch as her eyes glance over my shoulder and at the fresh-baked cookies. I give in, leaning across the counter, grabbing the smallest one off the top before handing it to her. "Just one. I want some to be here when Isabella arrives."

Ellie takes a generous bite, a few crumbs falling from the side of her mouth and onto her notebook as she bites into the soft cookie. She uses her pinky finger to brush the crumbs off her notebook, taking the time to look over her checklist yet again. I take the notebook into my hands, scanning the list for myself. With a split-second decision, I rip the top piece of paper from the notebook, then again in half, handing Ellie the upper half.

"Come on, let's finish this checklist." I offer, watching Ellie's eyes gleam and her lips smile.

***

I cross off the last item on my list before falling backward onto my lounge chair in my studio. I crumble up the piece of paper and toss it across the room, making it into the wastebasket. All the time I've spent in this room tossing crumbled-up, unfinished, dead-end songs wasn't for nothing. From the corner of my eye, I spot an uncovered outlet on the wall behind my guitar. I grab an extra outlet cover from my pocket and cover it just as the doorbell rings.

I freeze. She's here. Isabella is here. My heart beats faster as I stand up, exiting my studio. My eyes find their way to Ellie, frozen in place at the other end of the house. I give her an encouraging nod and smile as we both unfreeze, walking towards each other.

I take Ellie's shaking hands between mine as we stand in the middle of the living room. "This is it. Are you ready?" I ask.

She lets out a deep breath. "Ready as I'll ever be." I hold her hand lovingly as we walk towards the front door, opening it wide.

Standing before us are Isabella and a Department of Child and Family Services member. Isabella has her arms wrapped tightly around the Supergirl doll Ellie and I bought her, her face in the crook of the doll's neck. It's evident the doll brings Isabella a sense of security and comfort.

Knowing Ellie is nervous, I take the initiative in starting the introduction. Or getting reacquainted.

"Welcome, Isabella!" I introduce, opening the door wide. Isabella lifts her head up slightly, her eyes finding mine.