Chapter 50

Written 2015
Revised April 2021

*Demi's POV*
Ellie is cuddled into my side, with her head on my chest. She takes my hand in hers and trails her finger over the engagement ring where my promise ring once sat.

"I can't believe I'm engaged." I say in awe. Even though I've been staring at the ring non stop for the last hour, it still does not seem real.

"You mean were engaged." Ellie says, lightly kissing my cheek before nuzzling her face closer into my neck. That's right. We. Us. I look at the clock on my end table. Two o'clock. Ellie and I were high off adrenaline after she proposed to me tonight, that neither of us have been tired enough to fall asleep.

"When do you want the wedding to be?" I ask, looking at Ellie.

Her eyes go wide. Clearly she hasn't thought about this. Did she... did she think I would say no? With everything we've been through the last month or so, I guess I can see why she'd think so. The thought of saying no tugs at my heart strings, making me hug her tighter.

"I didn't really think about it. Maybe next year?" She asks, moving her head so she can look up at me.

I furrow my eyebrows, not liking the sound of waiting till next year to say I do. "That's too far away. What about around August of this year? The weather will be beautiful."

"Don't we need time to plan it? I know people who have waited years to get married." She argues.

"Yeah, but at least one thing is for certain... we don't have to worry about saving up money." I admit, knowing money is the biggest cause for people having to postpone or wait to get married. I can tell she's iffy about the idea of getting married in just a few months.

"How about we table the wedding talk for now until I get back home from tour?" I ask, watching Ellie nod her head in agreement.

I look down at Ellie and her facial expressions have now changed. She is biting the inside of her lip while looking down as if she's trying to hold something back.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, adjusting my body so I can look at her better.

"I didn't want to get my hopes up in case you were still made at me and I ended up going back home." She says, lightly trailing off at the end.

"Didn't get your hopes up about what?" I ask.

She looks into my eyes for a few seconds before answering. "About seeing Isabella again." She admits, her words barely above a whisper. In just a few short days, I'll be performing in Boston at the T.D. Garden. I didn't realize Ellie would be with me when the tour stopped in Boston.

"We'll call Jill, maybe we can get them tickets and they can come to the show." I suggest, watching Ellie's eyes light up with excitement. She nods her head up and down as her lips curl into a smile. She kisses me on the cheek before nuzzling her face back into my neck. I watch her eyes slowly close as she's trying to fight the sleep that is trying to overcome her.

I stare at the ceiling, thinking back on the last few hours, putting the pieces together. The ring must have been what Ellie was hiding behind her back before I went onstage. This must be why she invited my family to watch me perform thousands of miles away from where they live. My heart begins to flutter at the thought of Ellie asking my family for permission to ask for my hand in marriage. I lightly caress Ellie's hair, soothing her to fall asleep. I lightly trail my hand to her shoulder, letting it rest there as we both begin to doze off into sleep.

*Ellie's POV*
"Ellie? It's so good to finally meet you!" Camila, from Fifth Harmony says walking towards me, embracing me in a hug. Dinah and Lauren tail behind her and embrace me in a hug as well. They take a seat next to Marissa and I. We're seated in a blocked off section of the lower level right next to the stage. Tonight I wanted to watch Demi perform from the audience instead of backstage, where I only see her backside for most of the show. Not that watching her backside is a bad thing, however, I wanted the full Demi Lovato concert experience at least once before I go back to Los Angeles.  Camila, Dinah and Lauren must have had the same idea.