Chapter 14

Written 2015

Revised March 2021

*Demi's POV*

I wake up wrapped in Ellie's arms. After the traumatizing events that took place just hours ago, Ellie walked me to my room. She made sure Wilmer was gone before inspecting every window and door on the main floor before accompanying me upstairs. It took a while but I had fallen asleep, secure in her arms. I wiggle out of her grip quietly before opening my door slowly, worried to see Wilmer on the other side. Letting out a sigh of relief, I step out into the hallway. I walk to my guest bathroom at the end of the hall, turning on the light and shutting the door behind me. I look at myself in the mirror, My under eyes are still slightly puffy. I pull down my shirt, exposing light scratches from my neck to my collar bone. A shiver runs down my spine as I drag my fingers across the red marks. 

A low squeak of the bathroom door opening causes me to jump, letting go of my shirt, feeling it spring back to my neck, covering the scratches. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Ellie apologizes, leaning against the door. 

"It's okay." I say, clearing my throat. She gives me a warm smile. 

"Are you okay?" She asks softly, letting go of the door handle and walking towards me. I look at her through the large mirror, nodding my head. "Would you like to talk about it?" She asks, looking me in the eyes. I shrug my shoulders. She takes my hands in between hers, rubbing tiny circles over the back of my hands. "Please?" She asks. 

I take a deep breath before facing her. "As you can tell, Wilmer came over." I joke nervously. "I forgot he has a spare key to my place. He let himself in. He tried to apologize for cheating on me again. He tried to give me my promise ring back but I refused. I told him that we were over for good, but it just made him angry. He started hitting me..." I say trailing off, tears forming in my eyes. Her eyes trail down to the redness on my neck. She brings one hand up to my neck, pushing my shirt down like I did moments ago. 

"Did he force himself on you?" Ellie asks cautiously, keeping one hand still on my neck. 

"He tried to. He grabbed me. Kissed me. Touched me." I explain, looking up at Ellie. Her lips are pressed shut, eyebrows furrowed in anger. 

"But when you rang the doorbell." I continue, "It caught him off guard and when he looked away I ran upstairs and hid in my bathroom." 

"You have to report him. He can not get away with this." She says encouragingly. 

I shake my head no. "I can't." 

"Yes you can, baby." She says caressing my cheek with her thumb. 

"He didn't do anything." I argue. "I managed to get away. and he left after you showed up. Please don't make me report him." I plead. 

"Why don't you want to report him?" She asks. 

"It will ruin my career." I cry out, hoping she will understand. 

She sighs. "Fine. I won't push you. But if he comes near you again, I wont let him get away with it." She compromises. 

----

March 2021 - Yikes. I didn't realize how short of a chapter this was until I revised it.