Chapter 10

Written 2015
Revised March 2021

*Ellies POV*
After finishing the last Hunger Games movie, Demi noticed it was very late. She asked me if I wanted to spend the night and I gladly accepted. She gave me clothes to sleep in, as sleeping in ripped jeans would be very uncomfortable.

Demi is in the kitchen, putting the dishes in the dishwasher.  I grab a glass of water, making my way to her guest room.

"Where are you going?" She asks, closing the dishwasher door, pressing start.

"To the guest room." I reply.

"You can sleep in my room." Demi offers. "If you want." She adds when I don't reply. I nod my head in acceptance. She turns off the lights, leaving just the overhead stove light on. She walks up to me, giving me a light peck on my cheek before heading upstairs.

***

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed. Demi's vanilla perfume still lingering on her pillow. I sit up and take in my surroundings. Demi likes simplicity like I do. She has lots of neutral colors with rarely any pops of color. I sit in silence for a while, mind wandering. I want to do something nice for Demi. Something meaningful and thoughtful to show her that there are good people in the world who will treat her right. The smell of bacon knocks me out of my thoughts.

"Good morning." Demi says while smiling. I walk down the last few stairs before responding.

"Good morning." I reply.

"So I took your advice." Demi says, pushing a plate of bacon, eggs and perfectly toasted bread to me. "I added garlic powder."

I take a seat at her granite island. I pick up a piece of egg with my fork and take a bite. My eyes start to water as I choke. Demi looks up at me in fear. I wave my hands side to side, letting her know I'm okay. I take a sip of juice before speaking. "That uh, that is a lot of garlic powder. Did you use the whole bottle?" I joke.

"I'll get it right eventually." She chuckles. "So, Unfortunately I have a last minute interview scheduled for this afternoon. Did you have any plans today?" I shake my head no. "If you want, you can hang out here. I should only be gone a few hours top. Then we can do something together." Demi suggests. Not having anything to do, I decide to take her up on her offer and stay at her place for the day. Demi plates her food and takes a seat next to me. She takes one bite of her scrambled eggs before spitting it out in her napkin. "I'll work on it."

***

I am reclined in Demi's theatre room, watching Supergirl. I am throwing popcorn in the air, trying to catch it in my mouth. My success rate is only about 50 percent. I hear Demi's front door unlock and shut after a few seconds. Not long after Demi is standing in the theatre, leaning against the doorframe.

I'm the first to speak up. "Demi, why haven't we watched Supergirl in your theatre yet?" I ask curiously. "Because watching it be projected over 100 inches big and with surround sound is a totally different experience."

"Well hello to you too." Demi snickers.

"I'm sorry. Hi." I apologize. "How was your interview?"

Demi rolls her eyes before taking a seat next to me. She takes a handful of popcorn, eating a few pieces before answering. "These interviewers need to start asking new questions, I'm tired of answering the same questions." Demi says annoyed. "Anyways, how about you pick something out from my closet to wear? I know a quaint Italian place not too far from here that has the best fresh pasta." Demi suggest. My mouth begins to water at the thought of fresh pasta. I nod my head in excitement. I turn off the tv before readjusting the recliner to its upright position. I stand up to make my way to Demi's closet. She reaches over and slaps my ass before following me out of the theatre.