Chapter Seventy-three

This chapter is dedicated to Anika080503 Thank you for your continued support on my story. I really appreciate all the votes! XX

 I really appreciate all the votes! XX

Jessica

I sit propped up on the couch, typing frantically on my laptop. I have a history paper due tomorrow that I've been procrastinating on, and time has finally caught up to me. This past week has been... interesting. There has been a slight dynamic shift at school where Elliot avoids me at all costs, and Brittany has become quiet. Even after the slapping I gave her, there has been no bullying what's so ever from her side. But now Shannon has taken it upon herself to give me a hard time in place of her "best friend" but she is no match for Brittany. So her attempts to get to me were laughable at best.

A sharp knock comes on the door, and Dean jumps up, shoving his paper and crayons aside.

"I'll get it." He shouts.

Lux barks merrily and follows excitedly behind him, wiggling her tail.

I shove my laptop aside irritably and get up. It took me a while to get my thoughts in order, and I didn't want to get distracted. I'll scream if it is girl scouts selling cookies because we are not expecting any guests.

"I told you you shouldn't open the door when it's dark. You just keep on painting. I'll get it." I tell him.

He shrugs and lays down on the carpet again, with Lux curled beside him. Now he is her favorite member of the family. Last week it was mom.

I open the door, and Steff is there, fidgeting, eyes panicked like she has seen a ghost. I feel my stomach sink, and I immediately grab her shoulders.

"What's wrong?"

"I kissed, Jermey." She tells me and looks startled by her own words. "I kissed him." She repeats.

I let out a long breath feeling my heartbeat return to normal. And I glare at her.

"That's it? Jesus, Steff! You gave me a heart attack!" I shake my head and then gape at her as I comprehend her words. "You did what?"

She looks up at me with tearful eyes.

"I think I ruined our friendship."

I take a calming breath and compose myself. I have never seen Steff look this shaken up. So I try to choose my words carefully.

"I am sure you didn't ruin anything, sweetie. Come inside." I tug at her hand.

She walks inside with me and goes straight up the stairs without greeting the twins.

"Hey!" Zach cries. "What's with her?"

"She's not feeling well," I tell him. "Don't go outside and stay away from the stove. I'll be upstairs."