Chapter Twenty-three

This chapter is dedicated to EniolaNureni I see you, boo! Thank you for all the votes and comments. XO

My anxiety is through the roof, and I have no idea why

My anxiety is through the roof, and I have no idea why. It's not like I don't know these people. I actually know them a little too well for my liking. I keep thinking I have gotten rid of my insecurities and need for external validation. I tell myself I couldn't care less what anyone thought of me or gossiped about me anymore. But I couldn't have been more wrong. I do care what people think of me, especially where Liam is concerned. Here, with his fingers laced through mine and everyone scrutinizing me, I feel out of place, like I'm good enough to be standing here with them. The thing about insecurity is it sneaks up on you at the worst possible time and consumes you from the inside out.

"So, since when do you drive?" Red has her eyes glued on Liam. When she tears them away, it's only long enough to glare at me.

"Since I felt like it. What's your point?" Liam is irritable, but it doesn't seem to faze her one bit. She just smiles. It's so unnerving.

"You two seem really cozy." Ryan looks back and forth at Liam and me. "Why haven't I heard of this before, Disick? You don't play fair." His tone is playful, but the accusation is clear in his eyes as he stares at Liam.

What is that supposed to mean?

Liam tenses beside me, and he lets go of my hand. A heavy feeling immediately settles on my chest.

"Don't be ridiculous, Ry. Clearly, he is only just screwing her, and even that is debatable. Snowflake doesn't really put out." Brittany smiles at me smugly.

I want to smack the look right off her face.

"Don't, Britt!" Elliot warns, surprising me.

This is the most that has ever come out of his mouth regarding his girlfriend bullying me. Liam doesn't say anything. His whole body is tense, and I can sense his apprehension.

The heavy feeling slowly travels from my chest to the rest of me.

"You know Brittany, I'm beginning to wonder if your ass went into hiding because it couldn't deal with your shit," Steff says, making Brittany gasp. Ryan bursts into fits of laughter and Elliot's eyes widen. Red isn't amused in the slightest. Her eyes are still glued on Liam, and his eyes are glued on her. I feel like they are having a silent conversation. I suddenly feel like an intruder. Like I should step away and give them privacy. Tears threaten my eyes. Why did he bring me here if he can't look away from her long enough to even glance at me? I should get the hell away from here, but I can't seem to move.

Brittany waits for her boyfriend to defend her, but he remains quiet. If there is something Elliot can't handle, it's confrontation. I have never seen him stand up for anyone or anything. He once stood there and watched as the Varsity Jocks talked about my ass like I was a piece of meat right in front of him. Not that I needed him to, I did tell them off. But he is such a coward, and now looking at him. I don't know how I ever thought that I loved him.