Chapter Twenty-one

"Where is she?" I hear Liam's loud voice before I see him.

Jayden replys with something inaudible. It seems like the rain is somehow coming down heavier. But Liam's voice cuts through the storm.

"Don't fucking test me, Jayden!" He says and looks up to find me standing on the stairs.

He takes in my appearance. I'm still in my Pajama pants and Jayden's sweatshirt.

"I thought I told you to get ready." He snaps at me.

"I'm staying here, Liam," I tell him sternly.

"The hell you are!" He steps inside, but Jayden blocks the way.

"I kicked your ass once, and I won't hesitate to do it again." He says to Jayden, and I rush down the stairs.

"Stop it! You can't just come here and order me around. If I want to stay, I will."

"Jess!" He looks at me with a warning. "Go get your things, and let's go."

"She told you no. How about you leave her alone." Jayden steps closer, and I see Liam's eyes darken. He instantly molds his hand into a fist, and I know what is coming next.

There is no way in hell they are gonna have another fight because of me. I'm not subjecting Jayden to an altercation in his own house for no apparent reason.

"How about you leave her alone?" Liam says through clenched teeth. "How about I don't ever see you next to her again? How about I knock your teeth out right now?..."

"Stop!" I yell at him. "You are not knocking anyone's teeth out. You win, okay? I can't believe you!"

"Go get your things." He says to me in a no-nonsense tone.

"You don't have to leave if you don't want to, Jess." Jayden grabs my hand, and Liam shoves him back.

"Stop!" I get in the middle, and I attempt to keep them away from each other.

I can't believe this is happening right now.

"Liam, wait outside. I'll grab my things and come." I push against his chest, but he doesn't budge, his gaze still fixed on Jayden. "Please, just wait outside." I push against him again, and he looks at me.

I beg him with my eyes to not fight me on this, and he doesn't. He slowly turns around and exits out the door.

I hurry up the stairs.

"I can't believe this!" I shake my head with fury as I grab my backpack.

"You're really letting him tell you what to do? This is control, Jess. Don't fall into it." Jayden asks, clearly disappointed.

I know how this makes me look. But I don't want to cause problems for him.

"I am certainly not watching as you two attempt to kill each other. Again."

I think about changing out of my PJs, but I don't want to take too long and risk Liam coming back inside. Jayden says I should keep his sweatshirt on because it's cold outside. He is against the idea of me leaving, but I have made up my mind. I don't think testing Liam's patience is worth the consequences.

I profusely apologize and give him a quick hug before stepping out.

Liam brings the car closer to the door, so I don't get wet walking out.

"Where did you get a car?" I ask once we get on the road, and he looks at me sideways like I just asked the most stupid question ever.

"What? You said you didn't have a car!" I snap.