Chapter Nine

Liam

Liam

I wake up to a clicking sound and something weighing down on me. I slowly open my eyes to find Jess sleeping soundly on my chest, her blonde hair splattered everywhere, and one leg draped over mine.

I remember the intimate way we fell asleep last night and immediately feel panic rising up my throat.

I slowly move her, trying to get out of her hold. Her dress is riding high, exposing her milky skin, but I don't finish my ogling when I see Stefani standing at the end of the bed with a huge smile on her face, staring at us. Jess wakes up slowly, and when she takes in her surroundings, she quickly gets up and covers herself up in embarrassment.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask Stefani, a little irritated.

"I woke up in a mansion with no one beside me, so I naturally thought I was kidnapped by the Mafia. Till I came in here and saw you two all cozy, that is." She wiggles her eyebrows.

You've got to be kidding me!

I turn over to see Jess trying to fix her hair up. She looks over at me and gives me a weak smile.

"Sorry." She whispers.

For what?

"So, what happened here?" Stefani asks, looking back and forth at us.

"You got high. That's what happened." Jess says, giving her a glare.

Stefani looks baffled for a second, and her eyes suddenly widen with realization.

"The painkillers?"

"Turns out, they weren't what you thought." Jess murmurs looking around. She looks at me, pleading for direction. I point at the purse that is laying on the floor, next to the guitar.

"You're in a hurry." I say, looking at her as she paces around my room.

"We need to go home and change for school. I suggest you get up and do the same. Thanks for the help." She says while trying to push Stefani out the door.

"Wait! What happened here? Did you two like do it?" Stefani asks, smiling wide, looking at Jess then me.

"Steff! We didn't." Jess says through gritted teeth.

"Interesting." Stefani gives us a sly smile.

"See you later." Jess looks over at me before rushing out of the room, dragging her friend with her.

I sit frozen on the bed for a few seconds. This isn't something I do. I don't invite a girl back to my house, and I definitely don't spend an entire night in the same bed with her. I don't know how to explain it without sounding fucked up, but I can't bear that kind of intimacy. I actually can't even stand something as simple as falling asleep next to someone, let alone have them in my arms all night. The idea that I could leave myself open to any kind of vulnerability is not acceptable to me. But last night— last night I couldn't help myself. She felt too good in my arms. And I broke all my rules.