Chapter Sixty-nine

"I'm sorry, Liam

"I'm sorry, Liam. I felt bad. She said she needed company." I explain again.

"My father isn't a company enough?" He asks gloomily.

The Cab driver glances at us through the rearview mirror once again, squirming in his seat uncomfortably.

"I told you she said he left town, or else I wouldn't have agreed."

Maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea to agree to this lunch when today is our last full day in the City. We are planning to head back home tomorrow in the afternoon. And I knew Liam wasn't pleased when I told him I agreed to have lunch with Sabrina. But I thought we settled it last night.

Liam lets out a long sigh but doesn't say anything.

The Cab driver pulls over in front of a luxury apartment complex. We pay and thank him before stepping out. There is a slight drizzle as we walk to the entrance. And the doorman, an older man with a kind smile walks out with an umbrella and greets Liam warmly as he lets us in.

Liam doesn't say much on the private elevator ride to the Penthouse, and my heart starts to pound as we ascend.

The elevator stops after what feels like ages and opens into a neatly decorated, carpeted entryway. Liam holds my hand, a gesture that lifts some of the weight off my chest. And we walk down the passageway into an all-white living room with floor-to-ceiling windows displaying the slightly gloomy New York City skyline. 

My mouth slightly hangs ajar at the sheer size and grandeur of the place.

An elderly maid and a younger one step out from another corridor and halt mid-stride when their eyes meet ours.

"Liam," The older of the two beams. "So good to see you again."

"It's good to see you too, Julia." Liam flashes her a genuine smile. "This is my girlfriend, Jessica."

"Oh, this is Miss Jessica," She grins broadly at me. "Mrs. Disick always talks about you, lovely girl."

I flush, unable to find my words.

"It's nice to meet you," I mumble.

"I'll go get Mrs. Disick." The younger girl finally speaks, but she doesn't look up at us. She looks exceedingly embarrassed as she turns around and disappears around the corner.

"Don't mind her shyness. Matilda is a bit infatuated with Liam." Julia laughs. "Come into the sitting room, I'll get you some drinks."

Liam leads me to the couch, and I feel like I'm sitting on a cloud as soon as my bottom touches the cushion. 

Julia asks what we would like to drink, and I ask for water while Liam declines.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask quietly as Julia exits the room.

Liam grabs my hand again and holds it between his own.

"No, I just hate coming here."

I sigh.