Chapter Fifty-seven

This chapter is dedicated to secretpoet_19 thank you for all the votes you've been leaving. I hope you continue to enjoy the book :)

Oscar walks in, and I watch some admiring gazes being cast his way from the girls waiting in a line

Oscar walks in, and I watch some admiring gazes being cast his way from the girls waiting in a line. His eyes find me as soon as he walks in, and my face breaks into a smile when I see his grin. It really has been too long. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a hug when I slip out of my chair to greet him.

"It's so good to see you, ma chérie." He says, pulling away. His gray-blue eyes sparkle under the fluorescent lights as he stares down at me. "You look beautiful."

"It's good to see you too, Ossie. It's been so long." I say, and he scrunches his face up.

"You still insist on using that awful nickname?"

"Always." I wink, and he smiles, flashing his dimples.

I am still in shock by the astonishing turn of events. I watch, dazed, as he orders a drink and settles beside me.

"Are you gonna tell me how you're here?" I ask.

"Cutting right to the chase." He chuckles. "Well, I was invited to be a part of an Art History Seminar at the University of Colombia. I thought I'd swing by here to see you. I'm only staying a night."

I try not to look flustered. I am flattered and almost embarrassed that he came all the way here just to see me. I don't know what the appropriate response is.

"It's great to see you, but you shouldn't have come all the way here. If you called me, I'd have told you not to come."

"It's a good thing I didn't call then. Do you really think I'd come to the U.S and not see you?" He laughs. "Even Esmée would kill me if I did that."

I chuckle and try not to overthink it. Oscar was always a spur-of-the-moment kind of guy, doing things on a whim.

"How is Esmée?" I ask.

"Juggling Ballet and Acting School. She's dating some Duke. He is the biggest snob I've ever met." He shudders, and my eyes widen.

"She is dating someone named Duke, right? Not an actual Duke?" I ask, and he laughs heartily.

"I'll tell her you said that. How I've missed you, ma petite chérie."

I smile at the familiar term of endearment.

"I want details. She never mentioned dating a freaking Duke when we talked last week! Where did they meet?"

"You didn't think I'd come all the way here to chat over coffee in a crowded mall, did you?" He raises a brow. "I am gonna buy you a proper meal at a decent restaurant of your choosing, and we'll talk more then. I hope you're free tonight."