Chapter Sixty-three

This chapter is dedicated to AlesiaS21 for all the votes!! It was wonderful logging in to see your votes every day. Thank you :)

 Thank you :)

Jessica

"I can't believe we lost again." Jeremy groans as we exit the arena.

"Did you see that pass? Amateurs!" Steff's nose flares with annoyance.

"You're just mad your boyfriend didn't get to play," Red says, and Steff looks at her with narrowed eyes.

"I'm only just starting to like you. Don't ruin what we have going on." She says, making us all chuckle.

"Now that I endured an entire game with your sleazy ex running around the place uselessly, can we call it a night?" Liam whispers so only I can hear him, and the roughness in his tone lets me know exactly what he has in mind.

"Well, it was nice hanging out with you lovely people, but we need to get going," I say, and Steff gives me a sly grin.

"I thought we were grabbing something to eat," Jayden says, oblivious.

"I am," Liam says in an undertone.

My cheeks flush, and I bite my lip to stifle a laugh.

"I am up for grabbing dinner," Jeremy says. "Pizza?"

"Perfect." Red agrees.

"As long as you don't drag Penelope Delacruz, sounds good to me," Steff says and pulls me in for a hug. "I'm afraid you two are gonna make me an aunt one of these days."

"Steff!"

"Hey! I don't blame you." She says, pulling away. "We've all heard his legend."

"Oh, my God!" My face burns scarlet.

"And you need to stop spending 24/7 with him. You know I'm right." She says, walking backward towards our friends who are excitedly discussing fast food joint options.

I roll my eyes.

I'll admit Liam and I have been inseparable since he came back from New York. It's like we are afraid one of us will suddenly vanish if we spend too much time apart. My friends think it's unhealthy how dependent we are becoming on each other. And I am not dense. I know they are right. But it causes me great anxiety when I try to analyze it, so I don't. We are happy, and that's all that matters.

We tell everyone goodbye and get on our way. The football team has been losing like mad ever since Nathan Maverick got suspended for fighting with a Janitor. We thought a morale boost on an away game would do them some good but apparently not.

I glance at Liam, who is focused on the road, and smile to myself. If you had told me a month ago that we would be out to see a game with Jayden and Red, I would have laughed in your face. But we have been hanging out with them these past few weeks. And even Steff is starting to warm up to Ellyn. I have to admit, she and Jayden make a cute couple. It makes me happy seeing him happy. The only thing that seems to not have changed is Brittany's foul mouth and Elliot's insistent flirting. Those two are a piece of work, and it blows my mind how I ever tolerated them, much less love them.