Chapter Nineteen

Jessica

Jessica

This past week has been hectic. Between reading for quizzes, rehearsals for the play, and a bunch of assignments, I barely had time for anything other than all things school-related. But I have somehow been finding ways to make time to go over to stay at Liam's. My mom has given up on me at this point. I only sleep at home when she has the night shift, and I have to babysit the twins.

Last night I decided to stay home to get some homework done, and mom said, So glad you moved back! I honestly thought she'd be upset over this whole thing, but she's been cool. I feel like it comes at a price, but I don't know what that price is yet. Red has been tolerable too. We mostly do our parts and try not to step on each other's toes. The best thing I ever did was convincing my friends to do the play. Afterschool hours are dedicated to rehearsals, and it's a lot more bearable with them there.

But the nights are my favourites. I love every second I get to spend with Liam. For those few hours, it feels like we are living in our own little world. A world where nothing on the outside can get in and hurt us. I like who I am when I'm with him. He makes me feel strong and confident and— sexy. But most of all, he makes me feel at home.

Sometimes I like to pretend that we are much older and living together. I do this as I watch him cook, or when he absentmindedly traces my palms as he is telling me a story, or when he attempts to braid my hair failing miserably, or when he laughs at something, and it is so uninhibited it almost brings tears to my eyes. I love that he is not brooding or distant in those few hours. He is caring and warm and playful, and mine.

"Ginger ale is the bomb dot com!" Madison Green announces with delight as she walks past us with Chloe Morales.

"OMG! Ginger ale! How so very exciting!" Steff chirps in with exaggerated excitement, the sarcasm dripping off her.

Madison turns around.

"What is your problem?" She arches her brow at Steff.

Madison dated Jeremy like an eternity ago, and she ended up cheating on him with Sanchez Delacruz. Steff still hasn't forgiven her for it. And I have no idea why she won't let it go, even Jeremy has moved on. Now all four of them are in the play, and it doesn't help that Brittany and Elliot also joined at the last minute. The after school drama has been so real.

"You. You're my problem." Steff has her claws out as she takes a step towards Madison.

I grab her arm.

"Auu, catfight!" Sanchez comes down the stage with a mischievous grin. Unfortunately, he is the stereotypical varsity jock douchebag. Coach only allowed him to do the play because he is failing English and needs this to earn some extra credit. But he has done nothing but goof around and get on everyone's nerves so far.

Madison glares at him and grabs Chloe's hand, dragging her out.

"Can you take this seriously and memorize your lines?" I ask with clear irritation.