Chapter Sixty-six

This chapter is dedicated to anto1936 for never failing to leave a vote on a chapter. Thank you so much for the support.

We get out of Dairy Queen and head to the car with the kids

We get out of Dairy Queen and head to the car with the kids. Ellie came over for a sleepover yesterday, and we all spent the night at Liam's house. We got a bunch of snacks and spent the night playing games and watching movies till we fell asleep in the living room way past midnight. Even Mrs. Grover allowed Becky to spend the night, granted she had to leave early in the morning for church. I didn't think mom would be too keen on the idea of all of us spending a night out, but it turns out she was looking forwards to a night "alone" But I am sure it had something to do with Eric.

"Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket,

Never let it fade away!

Catch a falling star an' put it in your pocket,

Save it for a rainy day..."

The kids sing in the backseat as we make our way to our house. We need to drop the twins off so Liam can drive Ellie back to Foxwood. I glance up at the cloudless sky with a small smile.

"It doesn't look like it's gonna rain today," I tell Liam before eating a spoon full of Mocha Fudge Blizzard.

Spring is truly here, and you can feel it in the air. We have finally made it through the dull days of the lingering winter, and I've been enjoying going over to the lake with Liam.

"Yeah, it looks like it." He says. "I wish you'd come with me."

Apparently, Sophia asked him to have lunch when he went to pick up Eloise yesterday, and he doesn't want to face it alone. I feel bad that he is dreading it so much, but I am secretly happy because I think this will do them some good.

"I wish I could, babe. But I promised Steff I would come over. It's been so long since we had a girl's night."

Liam sighs, but he doesn't say anything.

"Liam, when can I spend the night again?" Ellie asks.

"If you continue to be a good girl, Sophia will let you come over again soon," Liam tells her.

"How come you don't call her mom?" Ellie asks innocently, but I see the change in Liam's demeanor.

"Because we are not very close." He tells her.

"Why?"

Liam looks over at me for help.

"Hey, Ellie, how about the next time you come over we build a bonfire in the backyard?"

This diverts her attention, and she squeals.

"Yeah, that would be awesome."

Liam flashes me a grateful smile, and I beam at him.