Chapter Eleven

"Mom, don't make this a thing

"Mom, don't make this a thing. I already told you I'm not going!" I'm so exasperated and done with the conversation already!

"Jessica Grayson, he is your father. You can't shut him out of your life forever!" She throws her hands up with frustration.

Well, I can try.

"You are not asking me to give him a phone call and have a chat, mom. You are asking me to go celebrate his engagement with the woman that single-handedly destroyed our family. I just can't."

"Actually, your father destroyed our family."

"Exactly my point!"

She sighs.

"He wants you and the boys at the party. It's weeks away, so figure out a way to be okay with it. He wants you there, and you know he always gets his way." She says, and I groan.

"Why do I have to go, mom?"

"We have already been over this. He wants you kids to meet her parents. If she marries him, she'll be your Stepmother whether you like it or not."

I gasp.

"I have a mother. I don't need a stepmother."

"He also wants to take you car shopping after school today." She says, changing the subject.

"Oh, he does, does he? Because he wants me to show up at his fancy party and meet his fiance's fancy parents."

I can't believe he is trying to bribe me! Can he sink any lower?

"You know you need the Car. Steff can't drive you around for the rest of your life!" She snaps.

Why is she yelling at me? She is supposed to be on my side, not his.

"Just because I need a car doesn't mean I will sell my soul to the devil!" I shout.

The resentment I feel towards him isn't something a Car can fix.

"He is your father, Jess. You need to find a way to forgive him. He left me, not you. He wants a relationship with you." She says.

"Are you serious?" I laugh bitterly. "When he left you, he left all of us. He chose that homewrecker fake best friend of yours over us!"

Her eyes widen, and I freeze. I clasp my hand over my mouth. I have gone too far this time. I know how much it kills my mom to talk about this subject. Betrayal from the two people she trusted most isn't something that can heal easily. And unfortunately, I understand that more than anyone. Even though her situation is so much worse than mine.

"Sorry. Mom, I am so sorry!" I stammer.

"Just meet him after school today." She doesn't look me in the eye as she leaves the room.

I sigh and fall face down on the bed. I kick my leg against the mattress with frustration. I feel drained already, and the day hasn't even begun. I didn't want to fight with mom first thing in the morning.