Chapter Seventy-five

This chapter is dedicated to chocoholic_53 for all the love you have been showing my book. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate you ♡.

Everything that happened that day in the English classroom and the words Mr

Everything that happened that day in the English classroom and the words Mr. Miller said to me come rushing to my mind. I knew there was some truth in that letter because I knew Brittany wouldn't fabricate that kind of story just to set me up. And I saw the sheer panic in his eyes as he tried to intimidate me. But I never in a million years expected the girl he's been seeing to be Brittany herself.

"Jessica!" Brittany calls.

I march faster, getting as far away from them as possible.

"Jessica!" She calls again. "Would you just wait?"

I step into Ryan's backyard in a near sprint without turning around. But she catches up to me and grabs my arm.

"Hey!" She shouts.

"What?" I yell back. "What the hell?"

"Look, just... Please, calm down!"

I shake my head and glance at her nonexistent belly.

"It's true then? You are..."

"Yes."

I suck in a breath.

"And it's..."

"His child, yes."

I stare at her, trying to figure out if this is something that was forced on her. I still remember so vividly how intimidating Mr. Miller looked that day as he confronted me in class. I wouldn't put it past him.

"Did he... force you? Is this..."

"God, no!" She half laughs. "No, look..." She looks around, making sure no one is eavesdropping. "It's not like that. He and I, it's something real. Maybe the only real thing. I know it's hard to understand, but you can't tell anyone about this. I know you don't owe me anything, but I'm begging you."

"Brittany! He is our teacher. You can't possibly think this could work! He took advantage of you."

"Because I am so naive and gullible?"

"You know what I mean! You are his student and he is in a position of authority. That is how it looks. He could go to jail for this!"

"I am 18, Jessica."

"You weren't when it started. You sent that letter to him at the beginning of the school year and signed my name on it. Don't deny that!"

She looks at me with panic in her eyes for the first time as if just realizing I could do some damage with the information I have.

"This is messed up. It started while you were still a minor."

"Please, I am begging you. You can't tell anyone. Just forget you saw this."