Chapter Seventy-four

Red and Steff decided to get ready at my house for Prom last minute, and now it's pure chaos here

Red and Steff decided to get ready at my house for Prom last minute, and now it's pure chaos here. Our clothes are scattered around the room, and we have to tiptoe around so we won't trip on something. There is makeup EVERYWHERE. Even on my poor white duvet cover. Even on the windowsill. It took us about four hours to get ready, and I don't know which part took the longest, but my hair sure gave me a lot of trouble. I wanted to put it in a stylish updo, so mom and I spent about an hour on it, but no amount of hairpins could hold it up. So I finally gave up and straightened it and put it in a sleek low ponytail. I wasn't too happy about it, but that made putting the Flapper Rhinestone headpiece on very easy. And, I'll admit, it turned out fine in the end. I kept my makeup to a minimal but made up for it with a bold red lip. The girls keep complimenting me on how great I look in the dress, so that's definitely a good sign.

Red is in a long sparkly black strapless gown that has a long rip on the side, showcasing her never-ending legs. Her long hair is trapped inside a fully beaded silver head cap on top and laying in soft waves on her back. She has a vintage faux fur scarf resting on her shoulders to complete the look. Jayden is definitely in for a treat tonight.

Steff decided to go for a classic look, and chose a short embellished nude dress, and paired it with a silver cream feather headpiece. With her hair styled to look shorter and the pipe she's holding between her fingers, she looks like she just stepped off a movie set.

"So, who'd you reckon will be Prom Queen?" Steff asks, rolling her eyes.

"It certainly won't be Brittany. That I am sure of," Red says. "She probably won't even be there."

She hasn't been to school ever since people found out about her pregnancy. People are now saying all sorts of crazy things like her parents shipped her away to an institution. Or even worse, another country. Of course, none of it is true. But people are eating it up. And since Elliot has made it loud and clear that he is not the father of her child, people are now coming up with crazy theories.

"I kinda feel bad for her," I say.

They both gape that me.

"Because I know what it's like to be on the receiving side of this," I explain. 

"She should have just come and defended herself if you ask me. That's what I would have done. Who cares what a bunch of idiots think? She allowed people to come up with whatever story they pleased by going into hiding." Steff shrugs, looking at herself in the full-sized mirror.

Ellyn shakes her head.

"Well, that's easy for us to say. I am voting for Madison for Prom Queen anyway." She says.

I look to see Steff's reaction and watch her scrunch her face.

"I am not voting." She says. "I don't see the point of Prom King and Queen."

To my surprise, Jeremy took my advice and asked her to Prom the other day. It was endearing and hilarious at the same time seeing them struggle to navigate through what had happened. They decided to go to Prom as friends in the end, but it's obvious to everyone that they both want more out of their relationship.