Birth (Part 2)

Birth

Images and sounds flashed in and out. Voices both familiar and not came and went, as well as setting you knew and didn't know. Your body felt on fire, ice-cold, in pain, and in peace at different intervals.

Your eyelids felt like weights, ones you were unable to lift. Your lungs burned and craved air, despite the hearty amount you were giving them. You couldn't feel your arms or legs, but your lower half ached.

You didn't know where you were, but the first conscious memory you had was waking up for a whole five seconds. People in white were surrounding you, covered in masks and gloves. Some of the gloves bloody, others holding needles and other surgical equipment.

"Looks like an infection." Someone spoke.

"She's dilated quite a bit... we won't be able to administer any pain medication." Another said.

"Prepare for a possible cesarean section." A familiar voice stated.

Your mind couldn't process anything and your eyes were starting to close again thanks to the blinding lights above you. Your head still hurts, making every little sound feel like needles going into every receptor of your brain.

As you started to fade out once more, you heard one more voice and a new sensation. Someone was squeezing what you could assume to be your hand. You couldn't be sure, so detached from your body and fading into unconsciousness once more.

"Hold on." His voice spoke. "You can do this. I'm here too. Just hold on, mind reader."

For some reason, despite the terrifying images you had just seen and heard, you fell back into a sense of peace. His voice was comforting and it made you feel as if he was telling the truth. Whatever was happening to you would be fine... and when you woke up next, you would have lived through this.

Whatever this was...

~~~~~

The next thing you knew, your slumber was being interrupted by the sounds of some annoying beeping. The constant sound made it hard for you to continue to sleep, and thus with a groan, you forced your sore eyes to open.

Your eyes seemed to have a small bit of crusted sleep on them, making opening them feel rather rough. Your (eye color) orbs quickly located the noise and saw that it was coming from a heart monitor.

You furrowed your brow in confusion and looked around. The first place you checked was your stomach. The usual weight was still there, having made you assume that the baby was doing fine, but as you looked down... so saw that the baby bump was instead your daughter.

Katsuko was fast asleep on you. She must have crawled onto the hospital bed from the chair beside it and curled up beside you. She looked sweet, sleeping so peacefully. It made you smile and reach out to pet her ash blonde locks, only to pause when you realized something terrifying.

Where was your baby?

Your heartbeat ceased for what seemed like an entire minute but was more likely just a second. You didn't feel the baby, but instead a terrible soreness in your lower regions. You inhaled sharply, trying to not like panic take over.

Your hands found there was towards your head. One placed on your mouth to not wake up Katsuko and the other to your locks of (hair color). Only, there was something else on your head. A bandage.

You inhaled once more. And then again. And again. And again.

Your panic was starting to take over. Just what exactly had happened to you? Where was your baby? Why did you feel so... so tired and sore?