Month 40

Month 40

Millions of panicked thoughts ran through his head as he dashed through the corridors of the aquarium. So many possibilities as to what could have happened to his son when he was stupidly distracted with fans: a kidnapping, wondering off, distracted, lost, alone, crying.

Fuck! His mind was starting to get into other territories now. His breathing was ragged too, but his legs refused to stop moving. He couldn't stop. He wouldn't stop. Not until he found Katsuro and made sure all was fine and well again.

Bakugou didn't even know where to start though. What was the first step here even? Was he supposed to call you? Tell the aquarium? The police? Fuck! He was a hero and he lost his own kid... what a shitty hero he was.

He shook his head. No. This was no time to let his own damned ego get in the way of what was important. Katsuro was somewhere. He more than likely was afraid and nervous. He needed to only focus on finding his boy and making sure he felt secure again.

If he couldn't find him in a single loop around the aquarium... then he'd start to call and ask for help. But right now, he needed to look himself. He wasn't sure if that was the best way to go, but he didn't care. He needed to look, that was the only option his mind was letting him accept right now.

With thundering footsteps and bumping into other families, Bakugou manically ran through the aquarium. He checked out the gift shop. Nothing. The entrance and the parking lot. Nothing. The theater. Nothing. The shark exhibit. Nothing.

He was running out of options.

"Mama! Come on! I want to pet a seastar!" A little girl happily called out before him.

She tugged on her mother's arm and tried to pull her in the direction of the special exhibit. The mother sighed but nodded with a soft smile. The pair made their way towards their destination, not knowing that a pair of carmine eyes were watching them and widening.

He hadn't checked there yet... and that was the place Katsuro wanted to go to the most! The reason they came here! He wanted to see and pet the creatures of the sea! Could it be that the little boy had somehow made his way to that exhibit and was there now?

It was the only place he hadn't checked yet... so it was his only option left. His only option left that didn't involve the terrifying idea that Katsuro had been taken by someone else.

Bakugou shook his head. No. His son was smart. He was too shy to go with a stranger anyway, no matter what they told him. That was all Bakugou could tell himself as he made his way to the exhibit and hoped to find that little boy with the spiky ash blonde hair and the soft (eye color) eyes.

As expected, the special exhibit was crowded. Parents trying to control their kids who were trying to do more than simply pet the creatures. Teens snapping pictures and taking video of them touching the backs of stingrays. There were even a few older adults and elderly couples who were happily sitting on benches and observing the kids and creatures interact.

Bakugou huffed as he leaned against a wall and let his eyes start to scan the room. Every person he spied who looked like Katsuro, but wasn't only sent another strike of pain into his heart. His mind unraveling and starting to chastise himself for his big mistake.

He was pathetic. A pathetic hero. A pathetic father. A pathetic person.

A child who needed him. A child who counted on him. A child who adored him.

And he lost him. He lost his own son due to his negligence.

Right as he was about to succumb to his own feelings of worthlessness and doubt, he spotted something that caught his eye. Sitting in the corner of the room, on a bench all by himself, was a tiny little boy.