Month 24

Month 24

If there was one thing you had begun to loath since becoming a parent... it was grocery shopping. Especially without your husband.

Having two little kids meant anything sweet or colorful caught their attention and instantly the baby doll's eyes were on you. With Katsuki there, he usually was able to easily cut through it with a stern 'no' but today you were shopping without him. Curse the office for making him work this Saturday! Wasn't he his own boss? Why did he go in knowing Saturdays were the day to grocery shop?!

Feelings of betrayal from your husband aside, you placed Katsuro into the cart and put your purse next to him. He was getting almost too big for the cart, and it seemed today he wasn't pleased with being put into the cart.

He eyed you sadly, pointing to Katsuko who was positioned at the front of the cart. Her feet were on the rim and she looked ready to move with the cart as if this was some sort of theme park ride.

"Me too!" Katsuro cheered, wanting to join his sister.

You sighed and nodded to him. Katsuro attached his little hands to the right side of the cart, but the front near his sister. The two giggled and eagerly pointed towards the shop's front door. No doubt ready for this trip, and possibly hoping to sucker their mother into getting them treats.

You inhaled, ready to deal with what might come of this trip, and started in for the store. You kept an eye on your kids, making sure neither was in danger of slipping off every glance or so. So far. So good.

The first stop was getting the usual: fruits, veggies, and spices. Your husband always used a lot of these for meals, thus you'd always have to refill every week. You checked the freshness and even let your kids pick up which color apples they wanted. Katsuko was set on red ones, while Katsuro picked out a shiny green one.

Next was the meats, then the pasta, and finally the bakery. You had to get bread and was dreading it. The bakery section, as usual, was lined with various cookies, cakes, and other sweets. You tried to walk past the sweets as quickly as possible, but it seemed that your speed was not as fast as your children's wandering eyes.

"Cake!" Katsuko shouted, pointing to a decadent chocolate one sitting in the display case. "I want cake, mama!"

Both kids spied it happily, practically drooling. You could agree with that reaction, as the cake really was good-looking. It looked like a two-layer chocolate cake, a layer of chocolate buttercream between and covering it. Chocolate pieces and chocolate shavings covered the top, along with what you could only guess was chocolate cookie crumbles.

"Cake, mama?" Katsuro looked up at you.

Inhaled sharply and internally pumped yourself up.

"Not today." You spoke gently, shaking your head.

"Awww." Katsuko frowned. "Why not?!"

"We still have cookies at home from your grandfather. We need to eat those for dessert first." You spoke, seeing your kids nod.

"Cake next time?" Katsuro asked you.

"Maybe." You spoke, reaching over and rubbing his spiky blonde locks. "Depends on if we can convince your dad."

"I'll get him to give us cake!!" Katsuko laughed victoriously as you started towards the loaves of bread.

"Yay! Yay, Ko!" Katsuro cheered for his sister.

The two kids seemed settled and you were internally relieved. You made it through an entire shopping trip and there was no begging or pleading? Oh, joy! You must be the luckiest mother in the world!