BayDonnie x GNReader: Life is a dream, part 1

Bayverse Donnie x GNReader.

The day had started out fantastic. There were no chores that needed to be done, the mail had come on time and hadn't been previously opened, the sound of the busy New York traffic was oddly quiet this morning; it all felt so...perfect.

You were stood in your small kitchen fishing around for a bowl, your lips mindlessly singing some random song you had heard on the radio that morning. Grasping the bowl in a tight grip, you sprang to the other side of the kitchen to choose your first meal of the day. Now sat in your living room, on a couch that really should have been replaced by now, you spooned yourself some cereal and browsed your phone while listening to the news in the background.

"New Yorkers are being diverted today due to a crash on Allen Street, not much is known about the cause of the crash but we do know that the driver was rushed to the hospital late last night. Motorists are being told to avoid Allen Street until further notice. Now onto Derek with the weather-"

You had turned the television off, slowly trudging back into the kitchen to dispose of your meal "I hope that driver's alright" you said aloud, more to yourself than anything. Going about your morning routine, you eventually returned back to the kitchen to wash your breakfast pots. Two minutes in and your hands were already prune-like, your phone by your side playing that same song from the radio.

"Up on Melancholy Hill,

There's a plastic tree,

Are you here with me?"

You sang lowly while you scrubbed your bowl, the rhythmic sound of the song lulling you into a quiet peace. Your phone buzzed violently against the counter, turning your head just a bit you caught sight of the caller's name.

"Hey D, what's up?"

"Er hey (Y/N), I was- I mean, me and my brothers were wondering if you'd like to hang out in the lair with us today. Since April's been working on that crime lord story, it's been kinda lonely down here." You pondered the thought, envisioning a social calendar in your mind, you smiled when realising you had nothing planned for the day. With a cheerful smile, that you knew he couldn't see, you happily agreed to come by once you had finished cleaning.

Twenty minutes later you were out and about on the streets of New York, people passing you by without a second thought. You promised to Donnie that you would meet him at the manhole cover on Allen Street at 12, looking at your phone you saw the minutes tick on I've still got 5 minutes you thought. You quickened your pace, knowing it was only a street over. Getting onto Allen Street was harder than you thought due to the crash you heard about on the news, speaking of said crash you saw the wrecked car on the opposite side of the road.

The car, if you could even call it that, was crushed towards the front end. The hood was stuck up, the engine exposed to the world around it, the airbags in the front seat were puffed up and covered in dried blood. Your stomach churned at the sight, the driver's door was ripped off probably due to the firefighters, police were swarming the area. You felt the small vibrations of your phone in your pocket, pulling it out you saw Donnie was once again calling you crap, "H-hey Donnie, I promise I'm on Allen Street. I'm like less than a minute away." you panted into the device.

You could hear his sigh through the speaker, "Don't worry about it, I'm just wasting valuable pop tart time." he joked, your laughter was his reward. Taking a sharp turn into an alleyway, you saw the manhole cover slightly ajar, no doubt due to the mutant hiding beneath it. "I'm gonna have to end the call Don, I'm meeting up with a real dingbat right now." you ended the call before he had time to respond, tapping the metal cover with your foot, you watched as it was pulled away.

Taking a step onto the ladder, you finally stood face to chest with Donatello. Smiling up at him with a tilted head, he smirked down at you "A dingbat, huh?" he asked, starting the walk back to the lair. You giggled beside him "Yeah, well, he has his moments." Donnie dared to risk a glance at you from the corner of his eye; he saw you looking forward with a knowing grin adorning your lips. He couldn't look at you for long otherwise his face would be an entirely new colour, he could feel his heart thumping out of his chest every time your hands accidentally collided with his own.

The walk was quiet, juxtaposing the busy atmosphere which was New York City. Your brain went back to humming that same song, some times murmuring the lyrics:

"Well you can't get what you want,

But you can get me"

Donnie turned to you, a curious look in his eyes, he didn't dare interrupt you. Your singing was like heaven to Donnie, he'd always remember that time when you were sat in his lab working on some document singing to yourself. At first, Donnie thought it was coming from his radio, but when he found the device off he looked to his computer or his phone. Embarrassingly, it took him a whole ten minutes to realise you were the one singing "You have a beautiful voice," he complimented, not looking up from his desk. Your head flicked over to him, smiling at the praise "Thanks."

"So let's set out to sea, love,

'Cause you are my medicine,

When you're close to me"

You continued to sing, not paying attention to the words coming out of your mouth, just subconsciously letting it happen. Donnie shifted as he walked alongside you "What're you singing?" It was a simple question and a simple answer "On the radio, it's been stuck in my head all morning." he hummed in response "Must be good then." The rest of the journey faded into a subtle quiet, which you didn't mind, you enjoyed spending time with the genius; no matter what you were doing.