6. YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT ☑️

CHAPTER SIX |
you're the one that i want

WARNING: mentions eating disorders and body dysmorphia, please don't read if this is at all triggering to you 💗

***

IT WAS A week to opening night and Kayla was hardcore losing her shit. Between costumes and set designs, she was losing her mind. She never expected that being co-director would be so much work. She was just glad that she had Artie and Finn here to help her.

She had been spending long hours after school tending to things. She was sitting in the back room with just a lamp on as she went through the script, making minor changes. She was taken away from her concentration when she heard the sewing machine going off backstage. She frowned as she got up out of her chair to inspect. No one should be here. It was nearing seven o'clock. Almost everyone had left aside from the janitors. She rounded the corner to the stage where she saw Kitty at the sewing machine, making changes to a costume and Kayla immediately recognized that it wasn't Kitty's costume. It was Marley's. She watched her quietly. She must have stood in place for twenty minutes, waiting until Kitty finally put Marley's costume back on the hanger and left.

She sighed, walking over to the rack and pulling Marley's costume back down. She made a mental note to tell Tina to fix the alterations at rehearsal tomorrow when she noticed it was distinctly tighter than it was before Kitty showed up. She was taking in her costumes and Kayla knew better than anyone what that might do to Marley, so the next day when Kitty invited all the girls to her house for a sleepover (sans Unique and Kayla), Kayla invited herself. Kitty gave her a fake smile which Kayla returned. She knew what Kitty was doing and she was not a fan. She had some words for her—words that weren't appropriate for a school musical.

Kayla was laying back in a chair in the corner of Kitty's room while the blonde was dancing around and making fun of Marley, her natural blonde hair concealed by a dark brown wig that looked distinctly like Marley's hair. The other girl was still in the bathroom while Kitty was performing Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee and if this was just a rehearsal, Kayla might have been okay with it, but it was obvious this wasn't for practice.

By the time the number ended, Marley was emerging from the bathroom with a frown. "Are you making fun of me, Kitty?"

Kitty rolled her eyes, pulling off her wig and throwing it into her closet as she noted, "Some people are so touchy."

Kayla bit her lip in an attempt to keep from spilling some very foul insults towards the blonde. She and Kitty didn't have a great relationship anyway. From the moment she met the sophomore, she couldn't stand her. She came in on the day of tryouts last year with a bitchy smirk and claimed to be the best talent the Cheerios had had in decades. Kayla decided then that they weren't going to be friendly. Since then, she had become Coach Sylvester's little mole. She basically idolized Quinn which Kayla knew was the start of a nervous breakdown. Even Quinn didn't like who she was when she was a Cheerio, but now Kitty was trying to become Quinn 2.0.

"Kitty," she said, gaining the cheerleader's attention as she grabbed her wrist and pulled her into the bathroom Marley had just vacated.

"What the hell, Rexy? Don't tell me you're trying to get into my pants too." Kitty mumbled as Kayla shut the door behind them.

Kayla rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. "I saw you last night."

Kitty's gaze shifted from Kayla's face over to the pattern on her shower curtain as she denied it. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You were making alterations to Marley's clothes. I saw you." Kayla said with a tense tone that seemed to unease Kitty.

In almost every part of her life, she acted all mighty, but everyone knew what Kayla was like when she was mad. She had a habit of punching people and Kitty wasn't keen on being another one on the list, so she fessed up.