20. BAD ROMANCE ☑️

CHAPTER TWENTY |
bad romance

***

"RACH, I DON'T think this is a good idea." Kayla noted as she, Rachel, Mercedes, and Quinn all began tiptoeing through the seats in Vocal Adrenaline's auditorium, attempting to crash their rehearsal and see what damage they needed to prepare for Regionals.

Kayla and Rachel had been pretending that their kiss hadn't happened for a full week now. Jesse wasn't talking to Kayla at the moment, but she knew he'd forgiven Rachel. She wasn't sure that Jesse was ignoring her because of the Rachel situation. She had this inkling that there was something going on with him. He hadn't been the same since he came back from spring break with his Vocal Adrenaline buddies. This week he was visiting his grandparents in Indiana. Kayla felt like he was just using the visit as an excuse to ignore her and she didn't blame him.

Ever since Rachel heard the recording of her mother's voice, Kayla had stayed by her side. It hurt to be in the same room as her without wanting to either kiss her or cry, but Kayla was trying to be strong. Rachel needed a friend right now. She couldn't imagine what she'd do if her birth mother contacted her. Rachel needed her the most right now.

Kayla had been breaking into Carmel's auditorium for the second time this week. Just a few days ago, she and Rachel had discovered that Vocal Adrenaline was paying homage to Lady Gaga and Mr. Schuester quickly implemented a Gaga week after their detective work.

The group sat in the balcony section, watching as the coach, Shelby Corcoran, began yelling at the group.

"Guys, you suck. You need emotion, stage presence. Lights!" Ms. Corcoran yelled at the technician as a single spotlight fell on her as the piano started to what Kayla recognized as the self-titled song to Funny Girl.

For a moment, nothing struck her as odd. She was simply enjoying the performance until she saw Rachel get out of her seat and walk closer to the director and then Kayla really listened. That was the exact same voice as the recording of Rachel's biological mother. This could not be happening. Rachel could not be the flesh and bone of their competition for Regionals.

"Rach, Rachel. Stop... what are you doing?" Kayla whispered harshly as she followed her best friend down the aisle.

As Ms. Corcoran finished her song, looking directly in a full-length mirror and completely unaware of their presence, Rachel cleared her throat and caught the attention of the show choir director.

"Ms. Corcoran, my name is Rachel Berry. I'm your daughter."

←⧪→

Kayla was helping Rachel get ready in her room. She chuckled sadly seeing Rachel's terrible costume for Gaga week. It was a dress with a bunch of beanie babies and stuffed animals poorly sewn on. The brunette looked up with an embarrassed eye.

"Don't laugh at me. My dads can't sew." Rachel pouted, her eyes fixating on a pile of clothes on Kayla's floor.

Kayla grabbed Rachel's hand and made her best friend look up at her. "Everything's gonna be okay."

Rachel rolled her eyes. "You always say that."

Kayla booped Rachel's nose. "But this time I mean it. No matter what happens with Ms. Corcoran or Regionals, we are sticking together and having the best rest of the school year, okay?"

Rachel finally chuckled, squeezing the other girl's hand. "I really don't deserve you."

Kayla laughed. "You really don't."

Rachel gasped. "How dare you?"

"Oh, you love me." Kayla said with a teasing tone. She just didn't hear Rachel's response when she bounced down the stairs.