9. MORE THAN A BAND ☑️

CHAPTER NINE |
more than a band

***

KAYLA WASN'T JEALOUS. Let that be known. There was no way she was jealous that Blaine and Sam were stealing Tina away from her or that Blaine and Tina were stealing Sam away from her. She totally wasn't jealous that her friends were being kidnapped from her in their own little perfect trio, leaving Artie and Kayla all by their lonesome.

Kayla wasn't bothered by the fact that she was left with Artie. Ever since that dinner she had with Tina and Artie last week, she had felt infinitely closer to the boy than she had in three years. There was a drop-off period with their friendship. It pretty much ended when he and Tina broke up. She always felt bad about it, so she was making up for it now. And based on the way everyone else was ignoring them right now, all they had was each other.

Kayla was walking next to Artie down the hallway when the loudspeaker went up.

"I've just been informed that the student council has voted to approve the first annual Senior Lock-In this weekend. And I regret to inform you that I am canceling this event due to budget cuts, safety concerns andI don't know, let's say Obamacare."

Kayla groaned when Sue finished the announcement, turning to Artie. "We can't have one good thing, can we?"

"It's Sue. She sucks the fun out of..." Artie's words trailed off as he looked across the hall. "Is that Tina?"

And wouldn't you know it, Tina was laying on the ground in tears while Sam and Blaine crouched around her and tried to calm her down. Kayla rolled her eyes, turning away from the sight. The new trio was just a bit of a sore spot for her right now and she didn't really wanted to be reminded of it.

Artie frowned as he watched the trio interact. "I'm getting really sick of them leaving us out of everything."

And that sentence sent the lightbulb above her head blinking as she turned to Artie with a grin. "Do you wanna do something crazy?"

Artie looked at her quizzically, but nodded nonetheless.

←⧪→

Kayla took a deep breath as she climbed up the wall outside the choir room. She sat on the ledge, trying her best not to fall, but hearing rustling coming outside, she braved the drop and fell on the floor.

"Fuck." she groaned out, quickly ducking behind the piano as she heard the voices get louder.

She watched as the window was popped open again and she saw Blaine fall through in his Nightbird costume with Tina and Sam following close behind. She frowned, realizing they must have had the same idea too and decided to have their own lock-in. She waited until Sam was bustling them out of the choir room before she reemerged, heading to the front entrance to let Artie in.

"What took so long?" Artie asked, but Kayla quickly shushed him, looking around for the other group.

"Blamtina are here too." Kayla answered and Artie sighed.

"This is supposed to be our night. Maybe we should just go home. We can hang at mine." Artie conceded, but she wasn't quick to leave.

"No way. They've been ruining our fun for weeks now. It's our turn. C'mon. I have a song I want us to do."

"Hop on, sweetcheeks." Artie grinned, pointing to his lap. Kayla threw back her head in a laugh, plopping down on him as she pointed forward.

"To the auditorium!"

When Artie rolled them up the ramp onto the stage, she quickly jumped off his lap and onto the piano bench. Her fingers fiddled with the keys before she found the right one.