1. LOSER LIKE ME ☑️

CHAPTER ONE |
loser like me

***

KAYLA SIGHED AS she trudged her way down the stairs and to the kitchen to make breakfast. She chuckled when her eyes zeroed in on Blaine sitting at the island munching on a piece of toast in his underwear.

"Bee, where are your pants?" Kayla laughed at the younger boy when she made it to the fridge, pulling out the milk and eggs to start on pancakes.

He shrugged. "Being held hostage in the dryer. Dave spilled alfredo all over them at dinner last night."

"Alfredo, sure." she raised her eyebrows suspiciously as she started making breakfast, mindlessly of Sam bouncing down the steps and coming to greet her.

"Morning, Kay," Sam smiled, greeting her with a kiss on the cheek and sitting next to Blaine to steal his toast.

Despite all appearances, she and Sam weren't dating. For just a second they almost fell into bad habits and they kissed over a bottle of tequila, but the morning after they felt horrible about it and that was when Kayla started going to therapy. Truthfully she should've been in therapy a long time ago. She was for a little bit in freshman and sophomore year, but then glee club and the Cheerios made her busy and she didn't have time for it anymore. She started to reconsider it when she was taking Marley to her appointments and when Kayla finally made it back to Lima and a few months later Blaine had joined them, it made sense. So now she and Blaine shared a therapist.

A lot of things came up in therapy that Kayla hadn't really thought about. She had severe abandonment issues that stemmed from her biological parents and even more so from Kris dying. She latched onto people to keep them from leaving and each time they left anyway, that was when she would become worse for wear. That's when things like sleep and food were secondary. That's when she started to curl in on herself and lose the progress she'd been making over the years.

But she was working on it and being coach of the Cheerios and having Sam and Dave around was really helping her. They grounded her and made her feel responsible for her own happiness and she was taking classes at Lima University and passing them, so it was a win in her book.

"So what's the plan for today?" Sam mumbled as he chewed on the toast he stole from Blaine's plate.

"Kay and I are picking Rach up from the airport." Blaine answered, pushing Sam away from his food.

"Oh, Rachel's back?" Sam questioned and Kayla hummed in response. Behind her back Sam was directing a gaze at Blaine to tell him to go.

"I'll just go... get my pants." Blaine mumbles as he gets up from his seat to go to the laundry room.

It's silent for a minute as Kayla plates the food and turns off the stove, placing her other dishes in the sink to clean later. She doesn't notice the tension in the room nor does she see the way Sam is staring at her.

"Magenta..." he draws out, his tone warning.

She looks back at him haphazardly and keens her neck to the side in confusion. "Yes?"

"Rachel's coming back." Sam repeats the notion and Kayla tries not to laugh at him.

"I know that, dummy. I'm picking her up. Blaine just said that." she says fondly, looking at him with all the adoration of a friend.

Sam sighs. "You still love her, Kay. Don't you think your therapist would tell you to stay away?"

"Well, Joanne isn't here right now and Rachel's my best friend, so I'm picking her up from the airport, Samuel." she rolls her eyes. "And I am not in love with her."