2. ENOUGH FOR YOU ☑️

CHAPTER TWO |
enough for you

***

PROM SEASON WAS always the bane of Kayla's existence. Not a singular time in the past three years was a great memory. Sophomore year she was lonely and thirdwheeling with Sam and Mercedes. Year two she was fighting with Rachel and now this year she had to watch Sam go with her best friend instead of her. At least, that was until Tina was nominated for prom queen and she quickly dumped Sam.

As soon as Sue was announcing the nominees and Tina's name fell through the speaker, said girl was up and jumping around, cheering like the overly excited girl her best friend happened to be. It made Kayla smile, clapping enthusiastically for her friend. All until Sam announced his excitement to be going with a potential queen and she quickly rejected Sam's invitation.

"Oh, Sam. I'm going to have to decline. I think I'm gonna go with a couple single gals to get the wallflower vote." Tina explained, giving Sam an awkward smile to make the rejection a little less painful.

Sam sat back in his chair with his mouth hung open. She knew he didn't even really want to go with Tina and being rejected by her just felt like a punch in the gut. She gave him a reassuring smile, patting his shoulder apologetically.

"You can go with me, if you want." she quickly backtracked. "Um, as friends, of course. That could be fun."

Sam shrugged. "Yeah, maybe. I'll think about it."

Kayla nodded, but didn't say anything more. She wasn't trying to push anything and she knew Sam wasn't exactly interested in being anything more than her friend right now, so she was dialing it back the best she could. Still, it was hard to go back to being Sam's best friend after he was the one that kissed her and told her he loved her. This wasn't how it was supposed to go.

←⧪→

Kayla wasn't quite prepared for the campaign posters of Kitty littering the hallways, especially after Kitty pledged her allegiance to helping with Tina's campaign. She was even less prepared for Kitty to be pacing back and forth down the halls, ripping down her own posters. She approached her gently, knowing full well that when Kitty was already pissed, you had to be extra cautious with her.

"What's going on?" Kayla asked softly, making Kitty turn around so fast she was certain the blonde had gotten whiplash.

"Stupid Bree." Kitty grumbled, handing the poster to Kayla where she could really take a look at it. That wasn't even Kitty. Was that Olivia Munn's body?

The new cheerleader Bree was a bit of a new issue. She was quickly working her ranks up the cheer hierarchy. She was best friends with neck brace Chloe and a total bitch. She was trying to work her way up to co-head cheerleader with Kayla now that Brittany was gone, but neither Kayla nor Coach Roz were having it. In fact, Coach Roz had made a point of no one replacing Brittany because Kayla could more than lead the squad on her own. She'd kind of made Kitty her assistant captain now that they were friends and Bree just didn't like that. Lucky for Kayla that she didn't give a shit how Bree felt.

She looked up from the poster, seeing Bree watching them from across the hall. She sighed, clutching the poster in her hands. "I'll be back."

Kitty gave her a confused expression as she sauntered away and towards Bree's direction. She glared at the brunette as she approached her, pushing the poster in Bree's face.

"What the hell is this?" Kayla asked in a harsh tone.

Bree rolled her eyes. "If you're not gonna be campaigning for the team you're captain of, what exactly is it that you do?"

Kayla folded the poster, beginning to rip it up. "You wanna campaign for a Cheerio? Make posters for the two other Cheerios that were nominated, but do not even think about messing with Kitty or Tina. Do you hear me?"