12. POWER ☑️

CHAPTER TWELVE |
power

***

KAYLA HAD NEVER considered herself much of a diva, even when she was performing. She tended to fade into the background since she came to McKinley. She became Rachel's plaything and she just stopped doing all the things that made her her. But she was a senior now. It was her year to put herself out there and when Finn announced a diva competition, Kayla was immediately on board. From the moment Finn and Miss Pillsbury started describing what a diva was, she was storyboarding her outfits and conspiring with Brittany and Tina the choreography for her performance. She spent hours with them trying to get everything perfect and by Tuesday afternoon she was strutting into the choir room in her best leotard and nodding over to the band to start the song.

< power, little mix >

Her voice moved into a growl as she dropped into a kneeling position. "Hold up, no, you didn't bow, bow. I ain't the chick to walk behind you round town. Just because you're packing, packing uh down south, that don't mean I'm ever gonna take it lying down."

"Uh, I'm a machine when I do it. I'll be catching fire, gasoline when I do it. Just because you're packing down south, that don't mean I'm ever gonna take it lying down."

Kayla got up from the floor and moved into Ryder's lap, straddling him as she sang. "Baby, you're the man, but I got the, I got the, I got the power. You make rain, but I'll make it, I'll make it, I'll make it shower. You should know I'm the one who's in control. I'll let you come take the wheel long as you don't forget... who got the power?"

She jumped off of him, moving back in front of Tina and Brittany as they broke out into full choreo. She felt like a bad bitch by the time they finished and people were giving her a standing ovation. She was pretty sure a hint of something invaded Sam's eyes, but she tried to ignore him for most of the performance. This song was about her owning her diva and she couldn't do that if she was sulking about him being with the wrong girl.

"Now that is a diva!" Finn exclaimed, clapping overly loud in a way that was one half obnoxious and another half sweet. She was glad they had become friends. He was her biggest supporter right now.

She held Tina and Brittany's hands as they all bowed gracefully before they moved into their seats. Ryder put his letterman jacket over her shoulders and she smiled gratefully when he kissed her cheek. "You did great." he whispered to her.

"Thanks." she mumbled back. Her attention moved away from Ryder when Finn announced that another diva performance was underway and she rolled her eyes when Santana walked into the room with a few of the Louisville cheerleaders in tow. She looked over to Tina and gave her a comforting smile. She knew her best friend was getting sick of Santana just showing up and taking the spotlight again and again. Honestly she was getting sick of it too.

Santana ended the performance with an earth shattering highnote and Kayla clapped respectfully while Brittany stood up and asked Santana why she didn't tell her she was in town. Santana replied, "Why didn't you tell me you were dating Trouty Mouth?"

Kayla sighed, just leaning onto Ryder's shoulder. She was not indulging in the love rectangle that was Brittany, Santana, Sam, and herself. It was enough that she was madly in love with Sam. She didn't need to add on to the fact that he was with Brittany and Santana was very obviously not over her (even if she was the one who broke it off). Santana smirked and introduced the girl next to her as her girlfriend, pecking her lips. Kayla nearly scoffed because it looked so fake. Maybe she needed to teach her old friend a thing or two about making a fake relationship look believable. She could teach a masterclass at this point.