13. BLUEBIRD ☑️

CHAPTER THIRTEEN |
bluebird

***

"YOU'RE REALLY HERE!" Rachel yelled out the minute Blaine and Kayla had pulled the loft door back and quickly attached herself to her neck, wrapping her arms around her swiftly.

"I'm really here, Rach." Kayla sighed happily, rubbing her nose against Rachel's in an eskimo kiss.

Kayla's heart burst at the small dose of affection. Neither girl worried about the audience of Kurt and Blaine. They embraced each other tightly, Kayla's bags falling to the ground.

Kurt heckled them lightly, his thumb tracing over Blaine's hip affectionately. "Get a room!"

Rachel rolled her eyes, griping back, "Get your own."

Kurt and Blaine laughed in unison before they were running back to Kurt's bedroom and pulling the partition closed. Kayla saw Blaine smack Kurt's butt on the way and she smiled. After all they'd been through this year, they could finally fully be together again and she was beyond happy for them, but not nearly as happy for her friends as she was ecstatic that she'd be living with Rachel and sharing a room. That was the icing on the cake for her.

Rachel nudged her. "C'mon, I wanna show you something."

She felt Rachel's hand fall into her own, their fingers interlacing as she pulled them back to their bedroom. Their bedroom. Rachel let go when she pulled the partition back and let Kayla take in the space. It was cleared up better than it had been last time she was here. She could actually see Rachel's desk now that it wasn't covered with Funny Girl scripts and school assignments. There in the corner of the desk was the picture Rachel had taken of her at her graduation and in the frame right next to it, the picture of Kayla and Finn from the opening night of Grease that she'd gifted Rachel for her birthday. The most noticeable thing in the room, however, was the two large bisexual and pansexual flags hanging above her bed.

She looked back at Rachel who was clutching her hands behind her back and worrying her bottom lip between her teeth. Kayla's eyes were watery when she finally saw those beautiful pools of brown in her eyes.

"Rach... what is all this?" Kayla asked in wonderment.

Rachel started that adorable rambling she did when she was nervous. "Well, I wanted you to feel more at home, so I cleared out this space in the corner for your keyboard and guitar because you're probably gonna play sometimes, right? And this is my favorite picture of you and Finn and I thought it might make you happy to see it every morning. Um, I got a nightstand for you and there's an empty frame so you can put whatever you want in it, okay? And I think the flags are pretty self-explanatory."

"Why's there a bi one?" Kayla smiled, plopping down on the bed and pulling off her coat. Rachel sat down next to her, tucking her knee under her leg as she turned her body towards Kayla's.

"I'm... I'm bi," she chuckled nervously. "I know that's not a surprise to you considering we dated, but I've only recently been able to describe it and I like guys, but I like girls too, so I thought it would be cute to have our flags right next to each other."

Kayla didn't say anything, really. She just mumbled Rachel's name and threw her arms around her tightly. Rachel didn't need words to know that Kayla was proud of her just the same way that Kayla knew this bubbling in the pit of her stomach was way more than a little crush. She was falling in love again and Rachel was not making it easy to resist.

←⧪→

"I bet you were talking." Blaine spits. Kayla's eyes fluttered open from her nap as she ventured out of her bedroom to see the couple arguing.