9. RATHER BE ☑️

CHAPTER NINE |
rather be

***

IT SEEMED LIKE Sue's termination came and swept everyone under their feet. No one saw it coming. Yes, Sue was generally a horrible person and an even more mean educator, but she'd been getting away with so much for so long that no one ever expected different and started getting used to it. Yet when Geraldo Rivera asks her for an interview, she doesn't have it in her to say anything against Sue. In fact, she's the only of the original New Directions that sticks up for her.

Geraldo meets her at the Lima dog park where she's playing a bit of catch with Hudson as he asks her questions.

"You know, Kayla, I've talked to a lot of your peers and they've given negative reviews. What is your opinion of Sue Sylvester?" he asks.

She sighs, petting Hudson's fur as she drafts her response. "You know, Sue isn't a role model. She's not very nice either. She's mean and rude and entitled, but she's fair, and despite her unorthodox methods, she actually cares. A few years ago our glee club was in turmoil and she dropped her vendetta to support us and got us to a National title. When my biological mother passed, she stayed by my side the whole funeral and she gave me time off from cheer to grieve. When I was in New York and I had no idea what I was doing with my life, she gave me a job."

She locks eyes with Geraldo. "Sue isn't a maternal figure. She lacks a lot of empathy for most people, but I can say with certainty if she hadn't made me join the Cheerios that I wouldn't be who I am today. Way back when, I had no identity. No idea what I was doing with my life, but cheer gave me purpose and I can't imagine my life without it anymore. I owe that to Sue, and I think someone who cultivated so much passion for a sport and so many success stories deserves a bit more credit to her name."

"You know, your former team members had no comment when I asked for an interview. Why did you agree?"

Kayla wears a small smile. "Not everybody had a great experience like me. I can't speak for my counterparts. I know a lot of them don't like Sue and never have, and at one point that was me too, but I've grown a lot since then. Despite it all, she was a great coach and she deserves to have at least one person on her side."

"Thank you, Kayla." Geraldo says and the interview ends.

←⧪→

Rachel gets a call about that musical she auditioned for a few months ago within the next few days and everything changes. Kayla had only just finally gotten Rachel to think about going back to NYADA. Even though more than anything she didn't want to be separated from Rachel now that they were slowly shifting into something more serious. Nothing was for certain, but she and Sam were done now and that song at Myron's bar mitzvah had changed something. Maybe she was making it all up in her head, but she felt like the feelings were still there between both of them. She didn't want Rachel to go back to New York, but as much as she loves her, she can't let Rachel stay here. She's made for the stage and going back to school would be a perfect new start for her.

Rachel's already done the brunt of it. She's visited Carmen Tibideaux and she's written letters. She's done what she can to make up for her behavior almost two years ago. All they're waiting for is a decision. Kayla's even given her a list of other schools she could apply to. She's done everything she can to remind Rachel that she can start over and get back on track, but then that stupid hip hop musical calls and gives Rachel the part and it's like they're right back to square one.

Most of the friend group is encouraging Rachel to take the part. Kayla hasn't said anything because she knows that she needs to talk to her alone. This is a special kind of conversation and it's only when she's scrolling through Instagram and she comes across an old friend that she understands why exactly Rachel got this part.