16. HEAL ☑️

CHAPTER SIXTEEN |
heal

***

KAYLA HAD BEEN feeling very neglected since Rachel stomped on her heart. They hadn't spoken since they broke things off, but that was probably for the best. Rachel was giving her space and that was exactly what she needed right now. She was in the choir room with her head on Puck's shoulder while Lauren's head occupied his other one. Sometimes it made Kayla laugh because surely having two girls on him was glorifying his ego, but it really hadn't. Lauren had changed him. He was kinder, more thoughtful—the way he had only ever been with Kayla. She was really happy for him. Just really sad for herself. Her life kind of sucked right now.

Sam was sat next to her. Santana was on the other side of the room next to Mercedes since she and Brittany were still fighting, but so were she and Sam. She made a whole song about his lips last week and he was pretty pissed about it, but Kayla would be too.

He looked over at her sad figure a few times before he grabbed her hand and interlocked their fingers. She looked at him suddenly and attempted a small smile as he squeezed her hand. She came off of Puck's shoulder and leaned on Sam's instead.

"Are you doing okay?" he whispered while their instructor went on and on about some taffy pipedream to help them pay for Nationals.

She shook her head. She didn't really have the words to say what she was feeling. At least Rachel wasn't sitting next to Finn. That would hurt even worse. Sam pressed his lips to the top of her head and traced his thumb back and forth on her hand.

"I love you, Magenta." Sam whispered so only she could hear. A small smile found its way onto her face and she replied that she loved him too. It was a lot more mumbled, but she still meant it. She did love Sam. He was her best friend and she didn't know how she'd gotten so lucky to have someone like him in her life.

Mr. Schuester clapped his hands together in that way he always did when he had an announcement. "So, I talked to Ms. Holliday and she suggested we do a Night of Neglect fundraiser! Here's the catch: we're only doing neglected artists."

Kayla didn't see much need to get excited. Hardly anyone would buy tickets to see it anyway. Besides, it would just be the Rachel Berry show again and she really didn't want to fight for a solo right now. She didn't have it in her anymore. Between the breakup and the news about her mother, she was a mess.

Sam nudged her shoulder. "Do you want to do a duet?"

Kayla grimaced. "I don't really feel like singing right now."

He frowned, letting go of her hand to clasp his own together and pouted. "Pretty pretty please! We can both play our guitars. It'll be really fun. Come on, dude. You can't say no to this face."

Her frown broke into a slight smile and she conceded. "Okay, okay. I'll sing with you, doofus."

He grinned, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into a big hug that she slowly accepted. It was going to take some getting used to, but she couldn't hide behind Rachel's shadow anymore. She had to do what she wanted to do.

←⧪→

Kayla was walking down the hallway trying to pull her cardigan over her chest to hide the amount of cleavage her dress was showing. Sam wanted to wear blue and this was the only nice blue thing she had in her closet. Coincidentally, it was the dress she wore to her date with Rachel, so she was hoping that maybe the dress would be good luck this time.

As she was about to round the corner, she stopped herself. She watched the altercation between Dave and Santana as she stuck up for Kurt and Blaine who so graceously showed up to support them. When Dave gave up, he stormed off in her direction.