1. EMPIRE STATE OF MIND ☑️

CHAPTER ONE |
empire state of mind

***

KAYLA HAD SPENT her whole summer with Aaron. She was helping him move in to his dorm at Lima University and she basically hadn't left him alone since his graduation. She was sure she was suffocating him, but she didn't particularly care. Her brother was her best friend and it really bummed her out that he wasn't going to be around anymore. Who was going to laugh with her when Kurt called her illiterate in fashion or pick on her when she got her once a year solo? It wasn't going to be the same without him around. Today was the first day of her Sophomore year and she was actually really excited, until she got the call.

"You have a call from an inmate at Cincinnati's Juvenile Detention Center. Do you wish to proceed with the charge?" an automated voice announced as Aaron handed her the phone. She replied and listened to the line ring for a minute before she heard the voice on the other line.

She interrupted him, "What the fuck did you do, Puck?"

Puck winced on the other end of the call, not used to her calling him by his last name. Everyone else called him that, but not Kayla. She always called him Noah, but not right now. Right now, she was beyond pissed.

"Funny storyI kind of, sort of, ran my mom's car through a convience store and took the ATM?" Puck stated as if it was question, but Kayla could tell he just didn't want to piss her off. Too late.

Kayla sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Do you know when you'll get out?"

"No." he trailed off, obviously embarrassed by his actions, but this was the kind of fuckery that went on when Kayla decided to spend her summer away from her friends.

"You're stupid, but I love you and I promise I'll come visit, okay?" Kayla quirked a small smile, though Puck couldn't see it. She could almost hear the happiness generating from his voice.

"I love you too. I'll see you soon, Kay." With that, he hung up and Aaron drove her to school for the last time before he headed to college.

←⧪→

Kayla walked into the school with a newfound love for those halls. A year ago, she was a gangly little freshman intent on hiding from the rest of the world. This year, she was an out and proud woman ready to take McKinley High School by storm. She immediately locked eyes with Tina and quickly ran up to her, embracing in her a hug.

"T, I've missed you so much!" Kayla squealed, rocking their bodies back and forth in her grasp. She quickly let go, noticing that Artie wasn't with her like usual and instead she was standing with Mike.

"Hey, Mike." Kayla smiled, nodding to the dancing Asian and looked around. "Where's Artie?"

"About that..." Tina trailed off, grabbing Mike's hand and interlocking their fingers. "Mike and I are together now."

"Oh." Kayla looked at their hands in surprise, but tried to mask it by smiling. "That's great, guys. I'm happy for you."

As happy as she was for her best friend, she couldn't help but wonder what happened between Tina and Artie. Before the summer came, they were basically attached at the hip. They did everything together and they were one of the few glee couples that everyone thought was going to stand the test of time. Apparently they were all wrong. It brought Kayla back to when Mike was admitting to Matt his huge crush on the goth girl and it made Kayla smile a bit. He'd gotten his wish. Tina was his now.

"I gotta go see someone. I'll be back." Kayla said, before Tina grabbed hold of her hand and pulled her back. "She's still with Finn, you know."

"I know."