18. WHEN SHE LOVED ME ☑️

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN |
when she loved me

***

KAYLA AND RACHEL were still on thin ice. It wasn't particularly a surprise considering everybody but Kayla knew about Rachel's pilot. Now in an attempt to stay on with Funny Girl and fix her steadily dropping image, she was starting a dog rescue charity event.

Kayla was playing with a pitbull at the kennel. He was barely one and couldn't see out of one eye. He tripped a lot, but he was just the smiliest little thing and Kayla was quickly falling in love with him, even more so when she realized his name was Hudson. The dog reminded her a lot of Finn. The way he walked was similar to the way Finn danced and on the outside he seemed tough, but underneath it all he was just a teddy bear. She knew immediately that this was her dog and it was something she needed to talk to Rachel about, but she couldn't see how Rachel could ever say no.

Sam sat down next to her with a scruffy dog in his lap and she cood, bending down to scratch behind the dog's ears while Sam petted Hudson's belly.

He looked up with a small smile. "Hey, um, I'm sorry for what I said on opening night. If you wanna be with Rachel, who am I to stop you?"

Kayla worried her lip between her teeth. "I hate to say it, but I think you were right. I love her. I really do. I just... I can't trust her. I just don't get why she won't open up to me."

"Maybe I'm a little biased because we used to date kind of, but it was never hard for me to tell you things because I trusted you and my heart belonged to you, you know. Do you think, maybe, it has to do with Finn?"

Kayla bowed her head, looking down at her lap and trying to hide the fact that her eyes were welling. "Of course it has to do with Finn. As much as she tells me I was her first love, I know it was always gonna be him and I can't compare, Sam. He's gone and I'm still second best. Is that selfish?"

"Hey," he whispered, moving McConaughey off his lap so he could wrap his arms around her. "It's not. Okay? That doesn't make you a bad person. Makes you human, which is good because I wasn't planning on having any extraterrestrial exes."

Kayla snorted, wiping her tears away as she let herself just be in Sam's arms. She'd almost forgotten how easy it was to be herself with him and she just wished that Rachel could be herself with her too.

←⧪→

Hudson was laying down on Kayla's bed while she played with her keyboard. She looked over at her dog with a bright smile as she played with the keys.

< when she loved me, toy story >

"When somebody loved me, everything was beautiful. Every hour spent together lives within my heart. And when she was sad, I was there to dry her tears and when she was happy, so was I. When she loved me." Kayla sang softly, her eyes closing as a smile appeared on her lips and she thought of Rachel.

As if by magic, Rachel approached the room while she played. She leaned against the dresser, watching her girlfriend play with an amused smile. She always loved watching Kayla play. When she was playing, she knew that Kayla was meant to be doing this for the rest of her life. Rachel could hardly remember their first meeting and how she tried to overshadow Kayla's talent because she couldn't believe she had ever silenced Kayla. She was in love with that girl and when she sang, she knew she was safe. Just like the song said, Rachel was safe when Kayla loved her and she worried that maybe she wasn't so much anymore.

"Hey, beautiful." Rachel made her presence known, walking up behind Kayla and hooking her chin over her shoulder.

"Hey." she mumbled, leaning back against Rachel's warmth. It was the first time since their fight that they'd really touched each other in any aspect. They slept in the same bed every night, but they were always turned away from each other. Both of them too stubborn to admit defeat, but now Rachel was laying down her armor.