21. GIVE UP THE FUNK ☑️

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE |
give up the funk

***

KAYLA WAS STANDING alone at her locker when she saw a body of blue jackets swarming their way to the auditorium and it was then that she knew judgement day was upon them. Vocal Adrenaline was here to crush all the club's hopes and dreams of a chance at Regionals. The traitor was making his debut back to Carmel.

Kayla had been ignoring Jesse all weekend. He'd attempted to call her multiple times and even showed up to her house once or twice, but Aaron wouldn't let him in. Kayla was grateful for that. She wasn't ready to talk to him. She didn't know what to say and she didn't want to hear his excuses. She'd kept the secret from Rachel. As much as she wanted to run over to her house and call Jesse out on his bullshit, she knew it wasn't her secret to tell. It would hurt even more if it came from her. Jesse had to be the one to tell her.

Kayla tried to divert her eyes away from the sea of blue, but before her reflexes could register, that girl Jesse was sitting with at the Lima Bean (she was pretty sure her name was Sasha or something of the like) locked eyes with her and smirked. Something about that made Kayla want to throw punches, but she'd done enough punching this week. She should save up the harsh hitting for Jesse's obnoxiously pretty face.

Before Kayla could loosen the fist at her side, she saw those dark blues settling into her vision and her fist balled up once more, slamming her locker shut.

"What do you want, traitor?" Kayla snipped, gathering her things and attempting to run away from him. He trailed after her, jogging a bit to catch up with her stride walking.

"Will you please listen to me?" he paused, grabbing her wrist and making her halt in her tracks. "Please?" he pleaded.

Truth be told, she wasn't sure she'd ever heard Jesse say that word in the near month they'd became friends and then she remembered that they hadn't even been friends until a month ago. How could she have been so naive to let down her walls so quickly with Jesse? She was a closed off person. Only Tina, Rachel, and Puck really knew her and yet, she'd let Jesse become her person. She wasn't upset that he had gone dark side. She was the most upset because Jesse hadn't told her he was going to.

"What do you want to say, huh?" she snapped, throwing her backpack on the ground. "That you're sorry and you never meant to hurt us? That's bullshit. Tell me the real story."

Jesse looked back at his band of followers and motioned for them to head to the auditorium. After the two were left alone, Jesse began his explanation.

"Ms. Corcoran wanted me to befriend Rachel, so she could get in contact with her. She wasn't allowed to until Rachel turned eighteen. Instead of being friends, I started dating Rachel and I swear from our first kiss I knew that she was more than just a game to me. I love her and part of me probably always will. The same way that whether you hate me or not, you'll always be my best friend." Jesse said. Kayla could see the glisten of his eyes and he looked to be on the verge of tears, but he quickly composed himself, pulling out his phone.

"What are you doing?" Kayla questioned, pulling her backpack back on.

Jesse deadpanned. "Texting Rachel. Time to break her heart since that's apparently the only thing I'm good for."

And with that, he stormed off. As much as Kayla didn't want to admit, she knew Jesse would always be her best friend too and that thought frightened her.

←⧪→

Jesse's betrayal hadn't gone over well. All the boys looked like they were ready to jump him. All the girls were tempted to cyberbully him on his Facebook wall. But Rachel, she hadn't said a word. To anyone. Not even Kayla. The latter was terrified to speak to Rachel. She didn't want to push her into a conversation she didn't want be in. The wounds were still fresh. She wasn't going to be the one to twist the knife. The most interaction she'd had with Rachel since the reveal was when Jesse was performing and Rachel grabbed her hand in fear. Kayla saw the way Jesse's head dropped just a bit when he saw their intertwined hands, but he tried not to let it phase him and pulled through.