15. LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD ☑️

CHAPTER FIFTEEN |
love is a battlefield

***

"GOOD MORNING, BEAUTIFUL." Rachel whispered, her voice gravelly from her slumber as she brushed Kayla's hair out of her face. A small blush fell over her cheeks, but she pushed her embarrassment away, leaning into the palm of Rachel's hand.

"Morning." Kayla mumbled, smiling up at Rachel.

It was a new feeling dating Rachel. Realistically, in high school they never really got to the dating stage. Even though she always referred to Rachel as her ex-girlfriend, they only ever kissed and had that one disaster date. But the morning after their kiss, Rachel grabbed her hands and asked Kayla to be her girlfriend and Kayla immediately agreed. She had been waiting for this for a little over four months. She wasn't going to waste any opportunity in being with Rachel like this. Though she had to admit that waking up to each other each morning was a bit odd so early in their relationship, she couldn't deny that it was her favorite part.

"Do you wanna get lunch after your last class?" Rachel asked her, a small grin on her face as she continued playing with Kayla's hair.

Kayla twitched her nose, trailing out her response with a guilty grimace. "I promised Sam we'd go out to lunch today."

Rachel shrugged. "That's okay. Kurt's staying over with Blaine tonight, so we can have a nice romantic dinner in. Sound good?"

Kayla bit her lip, leaning up to press a chaste kiss to Rachel's lips. "Sounds perfect."

Retracting Rachel's arms from her waist (despite the brunette's groans), she got out of the bed, traveling to the dresser to grab her clothes for the day. Her girlfriend might be a college dropout, but she had classes all day. She chuckled softly when she turned back around to the sight of Rachel stretched out over the bed on her stomach, burying her face in Kayla's pillow with a groan.

She dropped her clothes on the side of the bed and slapped the back of Rachel's thigh lightly. "Alright drama queen. Get up."

Rachel lifted her head from the pillow with an adorable pout. "You're lucky I love you."

Kayla's heart fluttered at the words. She and Rachel had exchanged that sentiment a billion and one times, but this time felt different. Rachel always described her as her first love, but there was something about being Rachel's current love that kept her whole body warm.

Her silence however seemed to unsettle Rachel because she was suddenly sitting up straight and spitting out apologies. Kayla interrupted her mid-sentence with a little kiss.

"I love you too. Forever." Kayla arched a brow at Rachel, smirking down at her.

"And always." Rachel finished, wrapping her arms around Kayla's neck and pulling her down into a heap on the bed.

Though Kayla groaned at first and tried to fight her off, the feeling of Rachel's body against her and the love coursing through her veins convinced her and she conceded.

"Okay, okay! Five more minutes."

←⧪→

Just after her songwriting class was letting out, Kayla walked across the street to the bistro that Sam was waiting for her. As soon as she saw him, she smiled and greeted him with a hug.

Putting her bag down in the chair next to her, she settled in with her menu. "Okay, what was so urgent?"

Sam looked at the crowd surrounding them. The bistro wasn't too busy, but it was relatively steady. He sighed, taking a deep breath before he began.